Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor/Limiter to clean up my sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Jun 21, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My technique is pretty poor right now. Because of a medical condition, I find it uncomfy to use finger#3. When I do use it it is weak and kinda uncoordinated so I get some soft pull offs or weak notes in my sound. I also get that clackety racket of the strings hitting the bass due to an unrefined right hand style. I can control it most of the time but I feel restrained when I do this. I gotta feel it :D

Will a compressor help somewhat while I continue to improve? Or am I better off just sucking it up and building up my #3 and cleaning up my right hand technique?

Thanks

2. If you cover it up, you can't tell when you're doing it wrong. You can't correct what you can't see.

Randy

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd say a qualified yes to both your questions. A compressor will help somewhat, but won't help get rid of clanking and it won't totally cover the volume differences. You should still work on getting your finger back up to speed, though.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I agree with steveksux. You might think about getting a compressor for gigs, just to clean up the sound, but practice without it.

A compressor will not help the clank problem.

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, definitely work on your technique without a compressor.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +1

Work like HELL on that plucking hand technique and never stop focusing on it. Seriously.

Go to the "technique" forum and search - you will find gobs o' info. Also, get your hands on anything written by Gary Willis. The man stresses plucking hand technique to the nth degree and his advice is as valuable as any I've seen.

You can't work on plucking hand technique enough.