Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

compressor / limiter ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, Oct 17, 2001.

1. I've notices that when i play fast on the B-string, it hits the frets sometimes.. it gives a nasty " clank " in the sound.. specially if i play with a little overdrive.. :( so i've been thinking of getting a pedal to fix it.. what would be better ? a compressor or a limiter ? and which pedal is a nice one for a fair price ( < $ 200 ) ?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Skip the pedal it can't get rid of the clank, play with a lighter touch or raise the action a bit.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Brian is right, and I'd stay away from compressor stompboxes, except the highend ones like Trace Elliot or EBS. Rackmount compressors are usually much better and versatile.

4. Hmm.. raising the action is not an option.. it's pretty high as it is.. i've tried playing softer, but it's not easy to check your playingstyle while jumping on the stage.. :(

How about the tech21 compressor ? i've been told it's pretty nice..

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    dbx 160A compressor/limiter is perfect. 1U rackmount with "over easy" compression. I think its probably the best compressor around.

6. Hmm.. rack mountable.. hmm... then i would have to get a whole rack for just 1 compressor.. hmm... any cool ones in solid* pedal-shape ?

* Solid pedal is required.. must be metal case.. i used to have a danelectro guitaroverdrive, but on our first gig i kicked it dead-center split in 2..... :( i'm a heavy kicker

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor

EBS MultiComp

8. I don't know how fast you are talking about, but you may be running into the physical limitations of producing super fast low notes with finger tips. The notes don't have time to develope and actually aquire a tone before the string is being struck again.

The natural tendency is to dig in and play harder to get the notes out. Then you get a "clack" as the string flops on the frets or pick up.

You can try setting up for a lighter touch (reducing the attack), playing the part with a pick (shorter attack) or go to higher gauge or tighter (DR low rider) B to get less flop.

Good luck.

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
  10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    buy a bigger rack! :p

11. Heheh.. yeah.. i'll switch from finger to pick within the 10th of a second :)

b.t.w. i've got a .135 B-string.. can't get any thicker, eh ? :)

but it's just my fingers hitting the string too hard i think.. it gives a sort of slapping-effect.. the string pops down.. :(

12. I saw a guy who seemed to be switching instaneously between finger style and pick. Turns out he had grown the fingernail on his ring finger out long enough to use. He would press the tip of his thumb against the finger and voila, instant pick.

The folks who set up for a light touch lower the strings and raise the pick ups. But you give up being able to dig in and pull the strings.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you are getting clicking now, adding a compressor will just give you compressed clicks.

The problem is you are hitting the string too hard. Can't raise the action? Then turn up the amp.

A compressor reduces dynamic range, your volume will stay more consistent no matter how hard you play. This is BAD becuase you need to get used to not hitting the string too hard. The ompressor interferes because you don't get any aural feedback about how hard you hit the string; hit it soft, hit it hard it's just as loud.

Does this make any sense yet? :confused:

Turn your amp up and play softer. You'll also get a fatter tone and be able to play much faster if you use a lighter touch.

14. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    actually, Im pretty sure that they make strings up to 150 gauge. JT uses one for his famous low F#. :eek:

check out the ART LeVeLAr tube compressor!!! www.musiciansfriend.com

its non-rackmount and only $79!!!!!!! :D :D :D