Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor needed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kawai-chang, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Hey all.
    We taped a couple of songs last night at practice, and it seemed like my E was about 3x louder than any other string.

Does this mean a compressor is needed? and if so, what is a good budget conscious (~$50-75) compressor?

FYI I play a Kawai with passive P/J p/us into a tuner then into a Yorkville bm200 combo. controls on amp were set flat at this time.

Thanks for the input

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yep, compressors are almost a MUST for recording. Problem is, you aren't going to find a decent one for 50-75 dollars. $150 will get you there. Look for RNC, DBX, preferably used.

3. Eric,
    thanks for the info. I'll start the ubiquitous search for another piece of gear this weekend.

K-C

4. I agree with Eric, compressors are a must for recording (and some would say for live play as well)....

BUT, if your E string is that much louder than the others it's not a compressor issue. First off, if you are making a conscious effort to play evenly across the strings, then you need to look at adjustments. Is the E string noticeably lower to the pickups than the rest? Are the pickups adjusted correctly? The bass should be pro set up anyway if you are laying down tracks with it... If for no other reason to make sure the intonation is spot on.

Will a compressor fix the problem? Sure. At the cost of squashing the HELL outta your overall sound if you need to compensate that much. Your sound will be very squashed and sterile sounding with no dynamics at all.

I'd have the bass pro set up by a local tech, be conscious of your playing style, and go from there. Hope that helps! :bassist:

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Could be you are just using too much boost at 40hz (like a "bass" knob on an SWR amp) to make up for having a thin sounding bass cabinet that you are monitoring with, and when it goes to tape you don't need the boost.

Try recording a track with NO EQ. And try monitoring with headphones off the deck instead of your amp.