Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor? Or other 1-space suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by joshness, Feb 7, 2006.

1. I have one more space open in my rack and I was thinking about getting a compressor. My current amp (Hartke 3500) has built-in compression, but I'm going to be getting an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro soon and it doesn't have built-in compression. I'm looking at a Behringer MDX2600 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this unit or suggestions for other models...or even other devices I could add to my rig instead of a compressor.

My rack currently has the amp in 2 spaces, tuner in 1, power conditioner in 1 and a BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer in the other.

Any replies are greatly appreciated!! Thanks a lot.

2. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I am currently using a DBX 266XL in my rack and I enjoy it, I think it would be a step-up for you as far as a compressor. I had an on-board compressor on my SVP-BSP and I really disliked it, but this one seems to be doing it's job. You could also compress your signal twice, since it is a stereo unit if you are unsatisfied with just one channel.

Ashly CLX-51/52, also come highly recommended.

I don't know what your price range is, but the DBX compressors usually surface on craigslist.org in my area for about $100. Can't beat that.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I have a dbx 266xl also, but I don't use it much w/ the 3-pro. A lot of people say it's not needed w/ the tube gain knob.
    I know a guy who just got a 1 space drawer for his accessories. I thought that was neat.

4. Thanks for the replies so far. I'm looking into the DBX 266XL and it looks pretty good...though I'm hesitant now that someone has used it with a SVT-3 Pro and doesn't think it's completely necessary. Anyone else have experience with the SVT-3 Pro and compressors?

Also, I may make this into a new post, but does anyone have suggestions for looking into a 1-space rack drawer? I had looked into them before, but they all seemed way too pricey for what they were. Thanks again.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    There are drastically differing opinions and philosophies when it comes to the need for compression. Me, I swear by it and I have a compressor in each of my racks. Wouldn't play without one, personally. However, you may find that such is not the case with you. I know that Oteil Burbridge doesn't (and won't) use a compressor, so there you go.

As far as brands, dbx is a fine one, though i would strongly suggest that you try out a 266XL before buying it. Some people (like those on this thread) have had great success with the unit. Others, such as myself, have not. Personally, I found that it tended to make a "clicking" noise when the threshold was hit, but hey, that's just me. The others on this thread could probably give you some settings that would be perfect for it.

Check out other dbx stuff as well. I was selling my 262 on here for $100.00, but I changed my mind and decided to keep it. That's a fine unit, if you can find it (and you probably can on ebay).

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  7. jujube_2a

jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    lexicon or alesis reverb devices?