1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressor Pedal Opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kingbee, Mar 29, 2009.

1. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    Hey, I've lately been thinking of trying out some compression stuff for my live sets. Anyone have any experience with the Boss LMB? I was considering the EBS Multicomp but I'm not convinced I need to spend $200 on a pedal when I'm not even sure how much better it is than the cheaper Boss pedal. Boss did me right with their Bass EQ and Chorus pedals but I wonder if the LMB is as useful.

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    The LMB-3 works well for the price. I don't really like the enhance knob too much.

Checkout Bongomania's reviews for one mans opinions on many compressors.

http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml

3. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    +1 on reading Bongomania's reviews.
    As for the LMB-3. The enhance knob IMO adds to much hiss, but for the price it's good. It is the only comp/limiter that I own at present.

4. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I own the Boss LM-2B, and it does a good job. I really liked how my Ibanez CP9 compressor/limiter sounded as a "slap" enhancer before it crapped out, while having the LM-2B in front as a constant limiter.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I don't have experience with many compressors, but I'm a big fan of my Aphex Punch Factory. It's relatively transparent, and has a nice built-in DI.

6. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    I have the EBS Unichorus and Multidrive and can't say enough good things about them, even at the "premium" price, so the Multicomp would seem like a natural choice of comp for me ... but like you, I was reluctant to pay top dollar in this case.

I did not find much happiness with a $200+ Keeley 4-knob compressor, but was looking for "something" that would package up my tone and make it more "focused" in the mix - hard to describe sound.

Anyway, I personally found exactly what I wanted in the much cheaper BBE Opto Stomp. Interestingly, you can find a used one pretty much anywhere, so it would seem others find it to be a dispensable part of their tool kit, but I'm extremely happy with mine for the specific reason I got it for (more focused, less boomy tone within the full band mix and no, and I mean, no hiss. Correcting string balance was also excellent I found). Admittedly subtle, and if you don't have a very specific reason for it, you'll likely never use it ... it's a very important box to me though.

Oh, and I tried the BBE Opto Stomp specifically because I found a used one locally, and just as importantly, I referred to Bongomania's reviews like others previous to me have mentioned.

7. Sliza

Sliza

Feb 7, 2009
    Does anyone know, if the EBS Multicomp can be used through an effect loop?

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    When I use a compressor pedal (I go back and forth between taking pedals along and not) it's the BBE. I have had the Demeter, tried the Keely, and really, I didn't hear much difference playing live. Not enough in my opinion to justify the more expensive pedals.

I use it on a very low setting - I barely notice it - which is how I like my compression. I still have dynamics, my tone isn't squashed, and it just sounds nice.

9. +1 Check out this link and most of your questions will be answered!
    I use the EBS Multicomp and love it.

10. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I'm amazed that there's no praise yet for the Demeter Compulator. It's an awesome pedal, but is very transparent and low noise. Think your bass tone only smoother and with more sustain. If you're looking for a great sounding comp that doesn't color, it's definitely a winner. But, if you're looking for more of a dramatic effect from your comp, you should probably look elsewhere.

11. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Demeter Compulator for sale here.