Compressor Pedals: "transparent"?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jammadave, Oct 25, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    So I find that my Route 66 Comp/OD just doesn't "do" compression as well on my bass as it does on my guitar - I'll get another for my bass in this case, but can't seem to find a comp pedal that retains all the shape and clarity of the straight signal. Have tried the Marshall compressor and an MXR Dyna Comp already, neither fit the bill - where should I look?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I use the EBS MultiComp, which does multiband compression.

There's the Digitech bassSqueeze, and Trace Elliot compressor pedal, which both do multiband.
    For single band, there's the Tech21 Bass Compactor and plenty other ones, such as the Demeter or the new EHX Black Finger.

Most of these have been discussed/compared a bunch of times, a search should provide lots of results.

If you have any questions about the EBS, I'd be happy to answer. I've also used the Trace, Tech21 and Digitech pedals. The Trace is good, but slightly hissy and is larger than usual pedals. The Tech21 worked well, but again was (to my ears) hissy - other people have reported this, some people haven't. The Digitech was to my ears the least transparent of the ones I tried.
  3. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    ART Levelar.

Cheap (on the bay), transparent and effective.
  4. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I forgot to mention quiet!