1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

compressor pedals you like to use

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by villhelmromero, Oct 21, 2013.

1. villhelmromero

villhelmromero

Oct 12, 2013
    austin
    I love to use my wampler ego comp for an "enhanced" kind of sound. not really for squeezing the signal but I set it for long sustain. I also love using my pigtronix philosopher's tone for some awesome overdrive and squeez. I use them independently. running them together just doesn't sound right to me. so what do you guys like to use for your compressors?

2. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I hate being that guy, but this topic is worth a search. There must be a couple of days worth of reading posts on the subject.

I like my EBS multicomp, and tend to leave it on and forget it. I like the built-in, one-knob compressor in my RH750 just as much. :)

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I like my FEA DE-CL love it I also liked the Empress Comp very nice.

4. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I'll second that ... but I'll refrain from making a smartass remark and just paste what you would have found anyway:

http://www.ovnilab.com/

And FWIW, I love my Joyo Dynamic Compressor for a pedal comp. I set the sustain to 3:00, the attack to 9:00, and the level where I need it. It's quiet, keeps me from getting peaky, and sustains for days.

5. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don't currently use a compressor, but of everything I've tried, the Diamond Bass Compressor stands out as sounding the best. Of course, I'm not looking for a lot of signal leveling, more for something that just somehow makes everything sound better. For me the Diamond seems to do that very well.

6. +1 on using the search function.

But FWIW: I usually plug my bass straight into my amp or DI (no effects) - however, compression is my favorite processor and when I use one, I like/use the BOSS CS-3 (and like 4-string, I also leave it on too), but itÂ’s not a real transparent compressor either.

7. villhelmromero

villhelmromero

Oct 12, 2013
    austin
    you should give the ego compressor a try. it really does that well. of coarse you can get that squeez too. what's really nice is the blend knob. lets you dial in just what you want.

8. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Looking on ovnilabs (THE compressor reference site), he has this to say about the Diamond (which I heartily agree with):
    If the Diamond pedal wasn't so big, I would have one on my board already. I like the idea of the blend, as parallel compression could be useful, but with the low ratio of the Diamond, that may not be a real issue.

From what ovnilabs says, the Wampler Ego is a more conventional compressor, which is not really what I want. I'll certainly give the Ego a try if I get the chance though. Small size and parallel blend are both good features.

If you haven't yet, definitely take a look at http://www.ovnilab.com/, it is an amazing resource.

9. Agreed. The Diamond is fantastic, especially with overall improvement of the sound. I also liked the Empress that I had before the Diamond, if a person wanted more control over functions and wanted to do higher compression ratios and the like.

10. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    The only compressor I've really liked is the comp side of the Zvex Instant Lo-Fi Junky. Very squished with sustain for days. Not subtle at all and that's how I like it.

11. villhelmromero

villhelmromero

Oct 12, 2013
    austin
    I really love that pedal I play guitar normally but just picked up bass not too long ago. that pedal sounds so cool on guitar you can make it sound like an old 45

12. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    Own and use the Diamond, I'd highly recommend it for how great it sounds and how easy it is to use.

13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I own and use both the Demeter Opto and an Empress Comp. No complaints from either pedal. The Empress is currently on my board and is always on...

14. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    diamond for me

15. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    The Empress is very nice, but I think for I want a compressor to do the Diamond actually sounds like a better bet... Hmmm... now, to sell my Empress or save up for the Diamond and have a both?

16. I sold my Empress to buy a Diamond. For me, it was the right move. In terms of price they are close to on par on the new and used markets - take a chance, you can always go back to the other one if you don't like it!

17. Reptileroundabo

Reptileroundabo Polka till you puke..

Jul 15, 2009
    Chardon, OH
    I am pretty partial to the aphex punch factory. Great optical compressor. I set the input to about 3 o clock, compression to about 2 o clock, and output to about 2 o clock with my active spector, anything past that, and i start to get a little noise. Not only does this really tie all the notes together REALLY well, but this adds some serious punch to rig, almost like having a kick drum in my cab. i know alot of people frown on this sort of thing (almost over compressed), but i really dig the sound. Use it with my bass and tuba with the same settings.

18. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Tuba? You just won this thread. You may have won all the threads.

19. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Mark Bass Compressore for everything!

20. Green1

Green1

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Diamond for me. It tightens everything up without squashing your tone and actually adds a little boost which is nice. The EQ control is a really nice feature and really allows you to dial in the tone that works for you