Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RS, Apr 24, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I probably should know this but help a brother out anyway. I'm interested in buying a compressor, to even out the volume discrepancy betweeen my finger and slap tone, but also to level out the volume spikes on my filter.
    Do I need to put the compressor before my effects or after or both? Thanks.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Try both and see what works best, but usually the compressor should be the first thing in the signal chain after the bass.

3. Get a dual-channel compressor ( e.g. Behringer Autocomp / composer ).. put one channel between your bass and your effects, and one channel in the FX loop.

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Depends on what you want to do. If you want limiting, which is what your post implies to me, you should put the compressor between the preamp and the power amp. (If you have an integrated amp, use pre-amp out/ power-amp in.)

Limiting: putting a ceiling on the overall gain

Compressing: reducing the dynamic range of a program so that the quiet parts can be louder without making the loud parts too loud. (A program is a pre-defined set of music.)

If you want to compress, you will likely want to put it right after the bass.

I would not recommend putting it in the effects loop unless it is a serial loop. Compression, like most dynamic signal processors, like to see the entire signal. Even serial loops buffer the instrument-level signal, which is not the best for the compressor. (After pre-amp is fine because it is a line-level signal.)