Compressor recommendation please

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Mar 6, 2003.

1. I'd like a recommendation for a Compressor. Something that would be appropriate for a small Mackie mixer (1202 I think).
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I have an FMR RNC 1773 in my bass rack and it works great. 1/3 rackspace and costs under $200. It is NOT balanced, so that may or may not cause a problem depending on how you route it. I'm not too familiar with the mixer you're talking about so I can't help you there.
  3. I've got a Alesis nano compressor I've used for years. I think it was under $100.
  4. BTW,

My motivation for the compressor was coming from a recording (in a rudimentary way) need/situation.

Phat, sounds like you get use out of it for live playin', right? Or do you have it in your rack just when recording?

The Mackie is just an entry-level analog mixer with 4 mic pres.

Grey, I'll go later today and pick up a nano. There's a lot of used gear in my town and I bet I'll find one.

thanks ya'll
  5. Hey GreyBeard. Got my Nano on Thursday and been trying it out/reading the manual at the same time.

So far so good.

Do you use the hard or soft knee position?
  6. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    I prefer to use the "hard knee" setting, as it compresses exactly where you set the threshold. The "soft knee" sort of takes the edge off of your compression by compressing the signal before your actual threshold setting.
  7. I was wondering what a good compressor is since I see alot on like dbx, rane, beringer, etc. Which brand and model are good? I don't want to spend that much and keep it under 100 for something good used. I have no idea what to look for and also need some reccomendations on EQs as well.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i'm no expert
    a compressor can have a huge impact on your sound - esp in a recording situation
    i've tried the rnc and thought it was really nice (haha) but not quite the ticket (see their website concerning bass)
    i've also used some tube compressors and liked them but...
    i keep on going back to the dbx on the hard knee setting
    very hard to beat, be careful, some of the cheap dbx units only do soft knee (ever easy) compression which chokes the hell out of your bass tone
  9. metallitone

Apr 19, 2003
    salinas, ca
    If you dont want a rack unit try a ebs multi-comp
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I personally use it in my live rig, but one of my friends has about $20k worth of studio equipment, and his main compressors are a pair of FMR RNC's.
  11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i kinda like the dbx line of rack compressors...the 160 is nice...not a lot of knobs and sounds good
  12. Thanks everyone for the input. Been using the NanoCompressor that GreyBeard recommended and it has been doing a good job.

I discovered that I was in need of peak limiting.

I was not needing to "even-out" my technique via compression, but to "get the level up" on tape via limiting.

So I run the Main outs to the Nano and then to my recorder. I set the Nano to about 3db reduction/thresh, 00:1 ratio, fast attack, medium release, and boost the output one tick. Using High-bias tapes I can get purty good "loudness" to tape.

Worth the $75.
  13. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    here's a vote for EBS MultiComp - simple to use and sounds excellent!