Compressor recommendations.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by opivy3056, Feb 12, 2006.

1. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    hey whats up?

ive been looking to add a compression pedal to my board. Ive been looking at ones between 100-150 US dollars. The ones that have caught my eye so far are....

aphex punch factory
    EH white finger
    BBE opto stomp
    Pedalworkx McSqueeze

Im looking for something relatively simple that i can leave on all the time to even out the levels. I dont want it to color the tone too much, maybe just add a little more punch.

What do you have to say?

2. mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    I hear that the punch factory is really great. I just picked up a carl martin Comp and it is awesome. Very transparent! You should be able to pick one up for about $150
  3. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    i've also heard great things on the PUnch won't be disappointed.
  4. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Ive been looking a lot at the Pedalworx McSqueeze. The controls are so simple and its true bypass. (looks like its built sturdy too)

The punch factory looks nice but ive heard bad things about the jacks.

Anyone heard anything about the McSqueeze?
  5. uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    +1 on punch factory!
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Isn't the McSqueeze a NOT-transparent type? I like the 'not'-sound myself, and choose the Boss CS-3 - that thing SOUNDS like it's 'working hard'. I have it engaged all the time.

I've tried the Aphex unit, and it was in deed unbelieveably transparent! Very nice.

The Jack issue has to do with them being directly soldered to the circuit board, and then NOT being nutted to the chassis. This, in theory, could mean sudden failure if someone steps on the plug that's inserted into it. I use their Xciter, which has the same kind of construction. I abuse it pretty-good, and haven't managed to break it yet...

7. 0557

Apr 12, 2004
    I use a punch factory with my Bongo and I love it.
    easy to use, just make sure you mount it to a pedal board or use george L's or light cables because the I/O jacks are made of plastic and are surface mounted to the pc board.
    Its doesn't color the tone unless you crank it, but even that sounds great at when you need it.
  8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I have a Mr. Squishy and I dig it. Straightforward, does what it do, and doesn't bork my sound. Cool.
  9. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004

I've always found it interesting how new words make their way into language. "Bork" is an excellent example. I think it serves as a great adjective bass for sound!
  10. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    The Ashdown Dual Band compressor comes out at in March, I'm itching to try it out.
  11. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I went ahead and ordered the McSqueeze. It seems like a "no B.S." pedal. Perfect for my tastes. haha

I think i got the last one from pedalgeek because after I ordered mine it said "this item is backordered" where it use to say "IN STOCK"

I've read nothing but good things about it. Ill have to do a review once it comes.