1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressor Recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Hey All -
    I'm looking for a very transparent compressor that will just level out subtle spikes in my playing.

I play 100% fingerstyle and notice sometimes my technique isn't always super perfect, especially when going from the Low-B or E string... to the G string, the G-String notes can spike a bit.

I'm looking for something that is not 'noticably' on, but smoothes this out?

FWIW I have a TC Electronic RH750 head with the Spectracomp compressor - and I actually kina like it. It does a nice job evening out string to string volume, even at low settings. It also adds a bit of low mid thickness and slight punch... but it seems to attenuate the deep bottom a bit all at the same time. Its a one knob does it all compressor.

So - is this pretty much the case with all compressors? I was looking at the Aguilar TLC but not sure if the added knobs will allow me to have my cake & eat it too :)

I like the Spectracomp's, string to string evenness and slight low mid thick punch... but wish it would let my low end breath.

Am I going down a path that just wont satisfy - and that this is pretty much what all compressors do?

Not familar w/ Multi-Band compressors... not sure if they would even out string to string volume, but allow my low end to breath.

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  3. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    It's your TC head whose inherent voicing has limited deep bottom. Plenty of low mids, but pretty slim on the subs.

Do a search on TB on the TC heads; they're different in a lot of ways.

4. ^ I did, and to be honest - its a bit overwhelming. I was just wondering if string to string evenness can be attained, but without the slight attenuation of my bottom end?

Thats all.

5. I understand its slightly compressed "as is". I dig the tone overall.

I'm just hoping for thoughts on the string to string eveness which the Spectracomp does (and I like it) - but it adds low mids, and cuts bass just a touch.

My question really is - will this be the case with most compressors - and is it worth it to go down the road of trying a lot?

If they all kinda do this - then I'm fine with the TC Spectracomp and wont spend unnecessary funds.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just FYI I'm on a long work shift and won't be able to give a proper response until tomorrow mid-day probably.

7. hobass

hobass

Oct 15, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    I've had a few different compressors and settled on the Diamond Bass Compressor. I was looking for a transparent easy to use unit just to even things out and it's fantastic.

8. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Markbass Compressore.

9. Jeffrey Wash

Jeffrey Wash Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    I have been very happy with my FEA Labs Dual Band Optical Comp for a couple of years now. I think it hits all the marks - studio quiet whether engaged or bypassed, transparent yet capable of more obvious compression, definitely smooth, very thoughtfully designed and built. Having a fully adjustable crossover and the ability to compress lows separate from highs is an addicting, powerful feature.

It is my 'always on' comp.

I'm actually looking now for a 2'nd, additional compressor, something to engage when I want a more 'obvious' level of compression. Am awaiting the latest FEA labs Dual Engine Comp. Am also looking forward to hearing what Bongo has to say on the matter!

10. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    Aguilar TLC is the definition of transparent.

11. Skygonzo

Skygonzo

Jul 8, 2012
    Amen to that, brother. Best comp in production today.

12. Thanks - I look forward to your input.

Again - I like the eveness the the TC Spectracomp gives... it makes my D & G string sound more even with my E & A string.

But it does so in a very noticible way and seems to take tiny nuances in my playing away. Does every compressor do this?

It also thickens up the low mids a bit, and seems to attenuate the deep bottom a bit. Is this just the name of the game?

I'm wondering if what I have is the "basic" characteristic of a decent compressor? ...and that I should just leave well enough alone?

In a perfect world, I would like a pedal compressor (don't have rack) - to even out all of the strings, but otherwise be pretty transparent and not noticble.

13. A great compressor indeed but not transparent IMO. The tube gives a "colour" to the sound.

14. Nobody but pbasswil has seemed to of read anything I wrote other then the title of the thread...

15. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    I recommend the Taurus Tux

Tux2.

16. I have a RH450 and a Aguilar TLC. Although the Spectracomp is a multi-band compressor, I find it quite limiting with only one knob. The TLC gives me a lot more control on setting up the compression to the way I like it. The way I use it is to bring out the D & G strings and there is no loss of low end to my ear.

17. Finally, someone who had useful input! :) Thanks Tieiririyi

TLC - When it brings out the D & G Strings... you mean it adds a bit of volume to them?

I find with the TC Spectracomp - what it sounds like its doing is adding low mids to all the notes & strings. And it adds volume to the D & G strings - while having a mild squeeze effect.

Again - I kinda like it and I'm all about simple. So I'm in the mind-set of just using the Spectracomp at like 2-3 clicks in.

Any other comments you could give on the Spectracomp vs. TLC? (thats the pedal I would get if I went stompbox). Because I'm always about "better" and I'm a gear head :) But to be honest, I'm new to compression and all the knobs - I can just see myself fiddling for hours. :(

18. To my ear, it sounds like they up the volume and add in a little bit of high mid to add more presence. It makes the notes more lively.

I like Aguilar TLC better than spectracomp since it's very transparent and has better controls. But one drawback is that it doesn't have any meter or lights to indicate the compression. So you have to use your ear to determine what settings you like.

Aguilar have a great demo section on their website.

http://www.aguilaramp.com/tlc_compressor_settings.htm

If you listen to Adam Nitti's demo, you will know what I mean. I decided to get TLC after I listened to the demo. I would recommend a good headphone when you listen to the demo.

edit: another great demo on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfHAIF4jiJA

19. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    We get asked this question a few times a week. The people in question had not read Bongo's site, and thus had no reference for the answers being given to them.

At little fore-reading answers a lot of post-questions before you even ask them.

20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    And afterward, you can't decide whether to say "that goes without saying", or "you can say that again". :p