Compressor/signal chain question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Nov 1, 2004.

1. I am getting an Aphex Punch Factory compressor, and I am wondeing where it should go in the signal chain. Should I put it between my bass and my amp (EA iAmp350), or should I run it through the effects loop? Also is there a better setting for fretless as opposed to fretted?
  2. TheBaron

Nov 1, 2004
    Argh I just posted this exact same thread in the recordin equipment forum! but yes any info would be lovely. if i dont hear any different ill probably run it through my FX loop so then i can have my tuner and compressor coming off my amp so i just plug into my amp and everything works :bassist:
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I prefer to run my compression as the last element of my instrument line (i.e. after all floor effects), but BEFORE my preamp input. That way, and adjustments of my pre-gain don't interefere with my compression sensitivity settings.

You CAN put it in your effects loop, but every time you adjust your pre-gain, you'll have to adjust your compressor as well.
  4. I'm finding that I like the sound of EQd compressed bass, rather than compressed EQd bass.

Meaning I get a nice slightly comprssed bass signal and then add a little low end at the amp. It seems to add low end to everything no matter where I am on the fretboard.

Bass -> Boss ME-50B (compressor) -> Amp (EQ)