1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Compressor/signal chain question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Nov 1, 2004.

1. I am getting an Aphex Punch Factory compressor, and I am wondeing where it should go in the signal chain. Should I put it between my bass and my amp (EA iAmp350), or should I run it through the effects loop? Also is there a better setting for fretless as opposed to fretted?

2. TheBaron

TheBaron

Nov 1, 2004
    Argh I just posted this exact same thread in the recordin equipment forum! but yes any info would be lovely. if i dont hear any different ill probably run it through my FX loop so then i can have my tuner and compressor coming off my amp so i just plug into my amp and everything works :bassist:

3. I didn't think to look there.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I prefer to run my compression as the last element of my instrument line (i.e. after all floor effects), but BEFORE my preamp input. That way, and adjustments of my pre-gain don't interefere with my compression sensitivity settings.

You CAN put it in your effects loop, but every time you adjust your pre-gain, you'll have to adjust your compressor as well.

5. I'm finding that I like the sound of EQd compressed bass, rather than compressed EQd bass.

Meaning I get a nice slightly comprssed bass signal and then add a little low end at the amp. It seems to add low end to everything no matter where I am on the fretboard.

Bass -> Boss ME-50B (compressor) -> Amp (EQ)