1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressor sucking away tone from other effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmeatball, Oct 7, 2017.

1. bassmeatball

bassmeatball

Feb 5, 2017
    Tampa
    I've got an FEA Labs Opti-Fet Compressor with fairly mild compression settings in my FX loop. If I use any other pedal (before or after it in the chain) I find that the compressor REALLY alters the tone of the other effects pedal. For instance, if I play an Aguilar Chorusaurus after the compressor and use it while the compressor is on the sound is incredibly weak and muddy compared to when the compressor is off.

If I use my amp compression it all sounds fine...is it the Opti FET busted or something?

2. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Chances are that you need to work with your FEA more. I’ve owned that pedal on two separate occasions and it was never intrusive.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    search youtube, maybe. it’s always something fixable. good luck!

4. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Didn't you have a thread last week about the Opti-FET sucking tone?

Questions:
    1. You have it connected in what FX loop?
    2. Is the FX loop a blend loop?
    3. Do you have anything plugged into the Opti's side-chain loop?
    4. What version of Opti-FET do you have... Is it one with the bronze-vein finish or an older black/grey model?

-Frank

5. bassmeatball

bassmeatball

Feb 5, 2017
    Tampa
    Never seen a pedal like this. If you plug another pedal into the Opti-Fet output the other pedal won't work...you need to plug it into the opti fets FX loop. Very odd.

6. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm not sure what you are saying.

The loop on the Opti-FET is for compression side-chain only. It is not a typical FX loop.

Let's work on this step by step......
    Plug your bass into the Opti-FET input and the Opti-FET output into your amp instrument input. Just the bass, Opti-FET, amplifier... no other effects and no amp loop effects and nothing plugged into the Opti's side-chain loop with Opti's side-chain EQ & Loop switched off.

Adjust the controls on the Opti to see if the compressor is working properly.

Here is the Opti block diagram:

OPTI-FET BLOCK DIA.jpg
    Let me know if this is working or not before we move on to the next step.

-Frank

nbsipics, Pbassmanca and lowplaces like this.
  7. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Considering this gentleman has two threads about two products that he is unhappy with on the front page I'd be willing to bet that he just doesn't know what he wants out of gear yet, or possibly he doesn't know how to work them effectively yet. Either that or he's trolling.

DStJ likes this.
  8. bassmeatball

bassmeatball

Feb 5, 2017
    Tampa
    I'm not, but thanks for calling me out.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Since he said that he needs to use the "Opti's FX loop", I think there is a misunderstanding of how to use the pedal. I posted the compressors block diagram so that he could get a better understanding of how it operates.

The Opti has a fairly flat freq response and subtle tonal character, so it shouldn't be sucking any tone if it is operating properly.

-Frank

willsellout likes this.
  10. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Not really a call out, more of a statement of fact. Perhaps understand what you need before splurging on gear? Perhaps understand what the product is that you're splurging money on?

With that said, we're super lucky to have a designer of the pedal on this forum - and he's helping you out.

Think before you spend!
    Good luck.

11. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    OP, please let me know if your Opti-FET is the newest bronze-vein finish or the older black/grey finish. Thanks.

-Frank

willsellout likes this.
  12. OP, can you post a pic of how you have it connected to your other effects?

boomertech and willsellout like this.
  13. bassmeatball

bassmeatball

Feb 5, 2017
    Tampa
    Thanks a lot. You are very kind to take the time to respond to me. It very well may be that I don't know what I am doing. Granted, I have been playing bass guitar and double bass for 20 years and only recently got on the effects train...I used to just plug into the amp and ignore this world.

I'll happily respond in a few hours when I'm done work. Thanks again to everyone for contributing and helping.

Pbassmanca and willsellout like this.
  14. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Let's find out if your Opti-FET is working properly.

The loop jacks on the Opti are for external side-chain use only. Most people find the on-board 3-band EQ in the side-chain adequate for modification of the threshold setting by frequency bands. I included the side-chain loop jacks for people that may want to use a cheap EQ pedal (with a lot of sliders) for narrower freq band modifications to the threshold setting. External EQ pedals in the side-chain loop do not affect the tone coming from the compressor.

-Frank

/\/\3phist0, jimfist and petrus61 like this.
  15. When I was rearranging my pedal board, I wound up accidentally plugging the patches into the sidechain jacks. That's the only time I had a problem with mine, which was user error.

boomertech likes this.
  16. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    :D

-Frank

petrus61 likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There is nothing wrong with admitting that it's a new frontier for you and you haven't got it figured out yet. And the Opti-Fet is a box with a lot of capability and a lot of knobs. I've been playing 45 years and used effects since day 1 and anything with more than 3 knobs sends me into a panic :D

18. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Have you tried the comp with only the bass and amp?

-Frank

willsellout likes this.
  19. bassmeatball

bassmeatball

Feb 5, 2017
    Tampa
    Yup. Will test it out again on Saturday morning. Sorry for the delay, just travelling for work. Appreciate a lot your response and interest. Very kind of you.

20. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Please let me know which version you have. Thanks!

-Frank