Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor/Sustainer box question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gojirin, Dec 19, 2004.

1. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    I have not had any experience with compression boxes until I bought one for my daughter's guitar. The box in question is a DOD FX 80-B. I tried it on bass and fooling around with the release and compression pots I seem to hear a slight difference in tone. The problem is, the difference is so slight that I could be hearing a gain difference with the box engaged and notheing else.
    What should a be hearing with a box like this? Is anyone familiar with this particular unit?
    Mind you I don't hear much in using it with guitar either...Reveiw wise lots of folks like it.
    Thanks.

2. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I have an FX-80B around here somewhere. I had the same experience you did. Depending on what settings you use, a compressor should make your tone sound "squished" and also give you more sustain. I've never had any luck getting either effect out of the FX-80B.

3. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    It's good to hear that it isn't just me. I'll do a search and see what other units are popular here on the board.
    Before I toss it, I'll try it again on guitar. My daughter won't touch it. I find it rather nice that my 14 year old daughter likes to play her guitar straight into her amp - nothing in the way of her tone...