1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Compressor/Sustainer box question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gojirin, Dec 19, 2004.

1. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    I have not had any experience with compression boxes until I bought one for my daughter's guitar. The box in question is a DOD FX 80-B. I tried it on bass and fooling around with the release and compression pots I seem to hear a slight difference in tone. The problem is, the difference is so slight that I could be hearing a gain difference with the box engaged and notheing else.
    What should a be hearing with a box like this? Is anyone familiar with this particular unit?
    Mind you I don't hear much in using it with guitar either...Reveiw wise lots of folks like it.
    Thanks.

2. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I have an FX-80B around here somewhere. I had the same experience you did. Depending on what settings you use, a compressor should make your tone sound "squished" and also give you more sustain. I've never had any luck getting either effect out of the FX-80B.

3. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    It's good to hear that it isn't just me. I'll do a search and see what other units are popular here on the board.
    Before I toss it, I'll try it again on guitar. My daughter won't touch it. I find it rather nice that my 14 year old daughter likes to play her guitar straight into her amp - nothing in the way of her tone...