Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor that fits in 1 rackspace

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by draginon, Dec 29, 2005.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I am looking for a pretty transparent compressor that will even my sound out and make it sound a little fatter. (someone told me that compression would do this). I am browsing but I'm not sure what to look for as far as bass compression. It must be rackmountable and fit in a single rack slot.

thanx TBers

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    dbx 266XL, I believe the Alesis 3630 is one space also.

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
  4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    The 3630 is seemingly everywhere, but I can't stand the thing. The dbx and Rane mentioned are much better.

I haven't used the relatively new Tapco SQ-2 on bass yet, but it has proven to be pretty transparent when used on vocals.

Budget plays a huge role here as well. If not, buy a Distressor and be done with it.

Though 1/2 space, my old Bellari optical tube unit sound quite nice if used correctly.

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    A lot of people use the 3630, but I've heard in the recording industry it's refferd to as the dirty 6 dirty. I know a lot of bass players love them.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, the Alesis is quite noisy. Get the dbx 266xl. Much better, much smoother, dead quiet.

7. Depends on how much money you have to spend. If you've got 100 bucks you could get a DBX 166A or if you have a bit more a 160. Both are highly rated here and theres plenty on Ebay.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I recently picked up a BBE MaxComp, and it sounds great! It's a clean/modern sound, definitely not squashy/vintage. Very versatile controls, one rack space.

9. Not sure what the budget here is but high end compressors that are single rack space would be Drawmer and Crane Song. Google will find them for you.