1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressor to cure Volume spikes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Max Roberts, Oct 14, 2006.

1. What compressor is good for stopping volume spikes from a q-tron?

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I've been looking into this, too. So far, I've been tempted to buy an EMMA Transmorgrifier, Aphex Punch Factory or T-Rex Compnova. Good luck.

3. Come on! Some-one must know of at least one.

4. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    I use EBS multicomp for that and it helps a lot.used to own a qtron,excellent filter.but had to let it go due to its size (also an extra adaptor need).Now I am using Ibanez sb7(hoping to get a maxon af9 soon).I really like sb7 as an envelope filter,you can get some wet funky sounds from it,but what I do is,I blend the wet/dry signals via boss ls2 (some where around %70 wet,and %100 dry).this way the volume spikes arent that loud (still have the compressor after LS2 to cool down the volume spikes) and I still have a wet funky sound coming through,and also have the dry sound keeping the bottom end.I tried that with qtron too,and it works the same.there is a mix mode in qtron which I beleive the blend was 50/50,with the help of a compressor you should be able to control the dynamics.Another thing with the envelope filters is (my experience),the settings you have on it,say for example with your practice amp,your giging amp or just going through the PA might not be the same.(even the sound level plays a role),so you may have to adjust the settings,gain,peak etc.
    well,any good compressor should help you,EBS multicomp is good,you also have 2 more controls(high/low band adjustments) in it,but there may be other cheap/expensive better compressors out there.Sansamps are good for that too,if I turn the blend up on my PADDI,that acts like a compressor.anyways it is all trial and error,got to try which way you get a good sound I suppose.
    hope that helps
    cheers

5. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    + 1 for the EBS. That is exactly why I am using a compressor: evening out peaks from my Korg G5!
    The Aphex is good too but is trickier to set the levels. When you hit the active pad switch, the bypass sound gets padded too.

6. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like you want a compressor that does limiting well. Also, since you don't mention wanting to change the tone, I will assume tranparent too. I would recommend an RNC 1173 for that application. Set the threshold to about -10 dbU, ratio to 25:1, attack to 0.2 mSec, release to about 200 mSec, and gain at 0. Then adjust threshold to taste.

7. Sorry but what is a RNC 1173?

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    That's good to know. I think I'll take that one off of my list. Thanks.

9. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    +2 for EBS
    +1 for Aphex
    I would like to add the Alesis 3630 to the list

10. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Another +1 for the Aphex Punch Factory!

11. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification
    i use a punch factory set pretty low for exactly what you are talking about.i dont really like compression but i like the limiting as i play pretty hard.keeps those spikes in check.i used to have a demeter compulator-also a nice compressor,but i prefered the punch factory.

12. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Boss LMB-3 Bass Limiter Enhancer. Not only can you set the level at which the limiter kicks in, but you can also adjust the level of compression. It is a great pedal.

14. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Keeley is good with his effects mods. I would assume his pedal is good, but I haven't used one.

15. Papersen

Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Another vote for Aphex Punch Factory.
    I got one this year and works great taming my volume peaks in a "musical" way.

I´ve also read good reviews of EBS Multicomp and Demeter Compulator, but I hadn´t tried them.

16. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    I use both the Q-Tron and the 3630 Alesis compressor. The trick to using the Q-Tron is knowing how to hit the strings at the right levels and getting what you want out of it. The Q-Tron can be very sensitive to your playing levels. Moreso than some other pedals.

A good comp can help out, but YOU are ultimately the key to making it work right. The QT has it's own release times too and you'll need to set the 2 to not walk over each other. I can tell you, it's a very thin line.......

17. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I picked up a tech21 compactor for next to nothing- it also does the job.