Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

compressor to thicken my sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pacojastorius, Jan 31, 2006.

1. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    om looking for a compressor to give me more punch and to thicken the low end for groove style playing. Im not looking for a transparent compressor as such becuase i want to hear my bass more thick when i stomp on it. any ideas?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I don't think you need a compressor, have a look at the Aphex Bass Exciter

3. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    +1
    Don't have one but chips says it's great (a recent topic of mine was on this type of thing)

4. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    yes maybe you're right. the thing is right now i really rely on my boss LMB3 to compress my signal so that i get a nice thick low end but its smooth at the same time. i only have room on my peddle board for one peddle to limit/compress and to thicken the sound, what would you suggest /or can the Aphex compress as well?

5. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    yes thanks, i just read it, its exactly what i need but like i said i only have one space left on my board:confused: is there a peddle like the LMB3 that can do both?

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Trust me once you try the Aphex you will re-evaluate your whole sound it's an amazing pedal, wish I'd never sold mine, and I'd forget about the hissy piece of crap boss call the lmb-3 :bag:

7. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    yea i have heard a lot of people say bad things about the LMB3 but in a live setting its not so critical to have a studio quiet peddle, richard bona has used one for years.
    i really do like the tone on the lmb3 but i just want to upgragde my peddles from time to time and it just looks really cheap next to my analogman clone chorus and fulltone bassdrive! im a snob;)

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    It sounds to me like the LMB does exactly what you need. Maybe you could look into re-housing the innards of the BOSS into a Hammond enclosure, or something. That way, you know it will sound like what you need and you can make it look however you want. Just a thought.

9. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    its a good idea but im not very good a wiring true bypasses on a boss pedal:crying: