1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Compressor / tube / weirdo question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lia_G, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    My first post in the effects forum, please be gentle! ;)

The 'weirdo' in the title is just a reference to me, and a stupid decision I made years ago. When I first switched from guitar to bass, I initially started playing using three fingers. Then I noticed that I was sometimes just using my first two fingers, but using the index finger on both a downstroke and an upstroke. I found that I could play very fast and accurately this way. However, there is a slight difference in sound between the downstroke, where the pad of my finger hits the string, and the upstroke, where the fingernail hits the string. It's especially noticeable on things like fast repeated 16th notes on the same note.

I've gone for a long time playing mostly simple, slow, melodic stuff on fretless, but I'm getting interested in faster playing again now, and I'd like to try to even out the tone of the upstroke / downstroke on the index finger. It's either that or re-learn the right-hand technique, which just frankly isn't going to happen.

So ... do you folks think a compressor would help even things out?

Also, I've been looking around for a tube pre, or something similar, to warm up the sound of my Acoustic Image head. I have a SABDDI that I use, and am getting more familiar with, but I was thinking of trying something else. Then I found out (through searching this forum!) about the EH Black Finger tube / optical compressor. Could that possibly help with both of the things I'm concerned with??

And then, would I need to use a noise gate after the compressor, or run the compressor in the loop of a Boss NS-2 (which I also found out about doing a forum search!), or something like that??

All advice and laughter appreciated.

Cheers,
    Liam

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    A good preamp should give you enough tone-shaping options. I like the SVT-Pro, CL, or (I use this on my live rig) BSP. My old set up was a solid state Carvin R600 with a basic 266xl dbx (75usd used) compressor (dbx 166 might be better - but you can go forever as prices go with compressors). Both of these set ups will allow you to shape a punchy attack, if that's what you're looking for. As far as warmth and clarity goes the Ampeg SVT's (IMO) can't be beaten. SWR pre-amps are also very good. As far as your crazy-ass finger-style. I don't know what to recommend for that. All I can say is if it works for you, then go with it.

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    You can use a compressor to even out your volume, but I doubt it would change the actual tone between the two different attacks.

I dig unconventional techniques by the way, so good for you. :D

4. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The volume is mostly what I'm interested in. I know there'll be a bit of tonal difference, but smoothing the contrast would be nice.

Thanks. ;)

It has served me well ... it let me get up to speed very quickly, and allowed me to play unison leads with a Steve Vai-ish guitar player in a prog-rock trio back in the 90's ... ;)

It just took a while not to feel everything as triplets ... !

Thanks!
    Liam

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah a compressor would work great for that. Smoothing out your clipping, etc.