Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor Usage

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mksolid, May 16, 2005.

1. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    How do all of you use your compressors to change your tone? Do you turn up the compression really high and squash it so it highly alters the tone, or do you leave it on to ever so slightly (transparently affect the tone) or whatever else?

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    • Sustain
    • Punch
    • Increase Gain
    • Greater Apparent Volume
    • Speaker Protection at Max. Volume

Channel 1:

Threshold: -10db,
    Ratio 4:1
    Soft Knee Compression
    Medium Attack:
    Medium Release
    Output: Boost +3db

Re-compress peaks only.
    Therefore the noise floor does not go up
    and the remaining high energy peaks are tamed,
    not limited, for more headroom without over compressing the dynamic signal.

Channel 2:

Threshold: set to zero (0db)

This Threshold setting allows Channel 1 to duck under this setting and
    only the peaks that reach 0db are
    processed by Channel 2.
    This will process only the loudest peaks.

Ratio: 6:1
    Soft Knee
    Fast Attack
    Fast Attack is necessary on Channel 2 in order to
    have the Peaks acted upon a fast as possible,
    thus extending headroom.

Quick Release
    Only dealing with Transients here.

Output: +3 to +5db, this gives an additional gain stage.

3. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Clean compressors don't change your tone (for the most part) - they change your volume peaks/troughs. For tone, I'd look more to your strings, pickups, preamp, EQ and cabinet/speaker combination - and of course, other effects.

On the other hand, I've got a Digitech "Bass Squeeze" that makes a big change in tone. I like it with a cheezy keyboard amp I use sometimes, but with my own amp, I prefer my cleaner Fishman compressor. Some compressors indeed color your tone - you need to "try before you buy" to get what you want.

For true tone/coloring, I use my Line6 Bass PODxt (which also has pretty good compression).

Getting back to your original question (heavy vs. light compression), I like both. The reason I went with the PODxt is for the presets, allowing easy switches between songs. Sometimes I want just a little compression (if any) so I don't loose my dynamics. Sometimes I want that heavy compression, so I sound like bass on your FM dial.

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Finger Blister; You are very wise in teh ways of compression! I take it this is an A/B. That is you don;t use both compression channels at once .

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    FB: are you the one I should thank for originally posting those settings some time ago? I have sworn by those settings and they have worked out incredibly well for me.

6. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    The reason I started this thread is because I have a Demeter Opto-Compulator and when I have the compression set very low up to the 12oclock position, I can't really notice any changes. When I start turning it up past that, the E string starts getting squashed, to where it sounds nothing like the original sound.

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Actually, I think he does run his signal through both channels at once.

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    what's everyones opinion on the best non-tone coloring compressors?? Pedals preferably.

I've heard good things about the Aphex punch factory, and the Trace Elliot dual comp pedal.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Out of those three, I prefer the EBS MultiComp. The Aphex was perfectly good, but I love the multiband feature of the EBS. I found the Trace a bit noisy.

10. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    @davidmwilson

I have a question about the "tubesim" mode the MULTICOMP has.
    For me the "tubesim" clip on the EBS website really sounds different from the others. I can hear a little more warmth.
    But when i switch between the modes on my pedal there´s hardly a differnce if there´s any at all.
    Sometimes i think the pedal doesn´t work properly.
    Is it really so subtle or is there something wrong with my switch?

11. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I can't even tell that my Demeter is working until I turn up the compression really high. So i guess that means no coloration.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's definitely not a dramatic change in sounds, but I can hear it. The high end is a bit muted in tubesim, and the low end sounds a bit warmer.

13. Chube

Chube

Jul 2, 2005
    Milano - Italia
    Hi everybody,
    I'm reopening this thread as I have too some problems with my compression unit.

It's an old behringer rack unit and I'm trying to obtain those loud hamonics which billy Sheehan has.
    The problem is to have the harmonics as loud as the "normal" notes.

I thought I only needed to set every knob at MAX, with -30 treshold but it doesn't work.

The knobs are the usual:
    -treshold
    -attack
    -knee
    -release
    -ratio
    -output

Can anyone help me?
    Thanx

14. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I use a billy sheehan bass and definitely get his tone. I use a boss lmb-3 pedal. Turn the enhancer off, ratio 2:00, threshold 10:00, volume just to before your amp distorts. Billy sheehan tone. Lots of harmonics and you retain some punch. I record direct like this also. I use a sparkle overdrive as well. Awsome sheehan tone all the way. I guess that I just gave away most of my secrets right there.

15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    What compressor are you using?

16. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I also would lke to get an advice about on of this boxes. I'm looking for smth that can improve my tone lil bit, make it kinda fat and round. I have sansamp I was sure that this is what i need, before I found out that sound is to compressed with it, for example I can't play harmonics normaly and also sound of sansamp is little to heavy for me. :meh: Would like to know what pedals acid jazz/funk/danc music bass players ussually use. Thanks.

17. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Run a boss LMB-3 in front of it. I hated the sansamp before I tried that set up. I love the thing now.

18. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I had LMB-3 before, but it's to noisy to my ear. What setting you use on it?

19. Would adding a compressor after my q-tron and bassballs help to make it less over the top at gigging volume? I can get some fantastic sounds out of them by themselves and also used at the same time, but at gigging volume it starts to sound obnoxious.

20. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I'm using my sansamp after mini q-tron, it solves volume problem lil bit, but it makes sound of mini q sharp also.