Compressor used best with Bass guitar into the INPUT or using the Send/Return loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BeyondFiredUp, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Here's a question some of you may have some ideas on. I'm getting a Demeter Compulator Compressor pedal soon and I am debating on how to use it to it's best potential. My amp is a rackmount solid-state head that has a Send/Return Pre-EQ patch jack right on the the front. It also has return level knob too. I was wondering if I should use this send/return feature. It would only work with a proper Y chord , (probably Monsters' StudioLink Insert Cable), which has the Stereo in and two monos 1/4" also, and of course the cables needed.
    In other words should I use the send/return loop feature OR just plug the bass right into and out of the Compulator and forget the loop thing? Looking for some ideas and opinions on this. Thanks gang!
  2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    This can only be answered by the "try both and see what works best" method.

3. bassist4God770

Jan 11, 2004
    Tedintheshed is right. I use my compressor after my preamp and before my power. Which is basically what you are going to be doing if you use you pedal in the effects loop. But what is good for me, may be totally different then what is good for you. So try both ways and see what you like. Let me know what you find out.
  4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    umm...I'd suggest if it's a pedal, using it inline with your input. Rack effects are meant to go in the effects loop, they're designed for line level signals. You can do it both ways, as said, do what works best for you, you may get some nice results using it in the loop.
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    As has been said: we're talking line level vs. instrument level here, first of all; some units can't just be used in either.

I find great advantage in putting my compressor in-line, because I can feed it into an overdrive, and get a very controlled, synth or organ-ish sound that I couldn't get if the compressor wasn't first.

6. I have found that using it at the front of my signal chain as a pedal works best.
  7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

Compression pedals are usually used as an FX in conjunction with another FX.

Rackmount Compressors are better for gain staging, leveling, and peak limiting.

Compressor Pedal and a Rackmount can be used together.
    -Compression used b/f overdrive/dist. or other pedal FX.
    -Overall levels controlled by rackmount compressor.

-Multi FX with compression in order to 'get the effect.'
    -Rackmount control can add volume boost and speaker protection.

IMHO - Pedals are for just plugging the bass right into and out of.
  8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Let me give an example for you.

I use a dBX 160X rack mount compressor and my pre-amp is a Demeter HBP-1. The Demeter has an effects loop with a fully adjustable send and return. However being a studio quality compressor the dBX has fully balance inputs and outputs. I run a competely balanced signal in my rack, so placing the dBX in the effects loop make absolutely no sense. I place it after the Demeter and before the power amp. It works beatifully.

Many pedals work fine in an effects loop, especially if adjustable. It all depends on how you are using the effect- will it alawys be on? are you using it for "squash"? speaker protection? etc.

There is no set rules here: it all depends upon how you are using it and what your rig is capable of. This why I said "This can only be answered by the "try both and see what works best" method."

9. The vote and common sense approach seems like I'll end up just using it inline (plugging the the bass right into it). But I'll try both ways of course. I already have the correct adapter for my send/return jack when I actually do try it the loop way. I want to cover all the options and even how it sounds on quieter melodic parts in songs too. Mainly I'll have it on all the time and use it to squash, limit and even things out of my sometimes very uneven playing! (LOL) Thanks guys! :)