Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

COMPRESSOR VS LIMITER

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stompfrog, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Hello again everyone,

My front end effects are currently

-----dist----eq---limiter-------amp

is there any point getting a compressor as well or would this be a waste of money.

I understand that a compressor boosts lower signals and limits higher signals and hence increases sustain but would it be a waste of pedal board space?

I mostly play a kind of muse/mars volta kind of rock.

thanks

chris

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I wanna know the same thing whats the difference?

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    A limiter is simply a compressor with a very high compression ratio... generally a 20:1 ratio or higher. Once a certain voltage is reached, it limits it from getting any higher. A compression pedal with a lower ratio setting would be useful for evening out your volume level. After a certain threshold is reached, the signal increases at a slower ratio (i.e. 4:1) than normal (1:1). Try one out and see if you like how it sounds. You might want to try some dual band compressors as well... you can set a crossover point and compress the bass and highs at varying degrees.

The graphs attached below will show:

LIMITER - once the voltage in reaches the threshold, the voltage out no longer increases

COMPRESSOR - once the voltage in reaches the threshold, the voltage out increases at a slower rate

Attached Files:

4. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    A limiter is a compressor set at an extreme setting...

ie: a limiter would have a ratio setting of say 20:1... for every 20 units the signal goes over the threshold level the pedal would only output 1 unit over the threshold, giving a big squash to the signal and protecting the amp(s) from clipping. Normaly a limiters threshold level would be set just below the point of clipping.

Compressors are usualy set with a ratio of between 2:1 and 6:1, meaning for every 6 units the signal goes over the threshold the pedal only outputs 1. This doesnt give the sound as much of a squashed feel and would even out the spikes in level in your playing. The threshold on a compressor would be set just below your highest level when playing to make it sound quieter and more even. The gain makeup would then be turned up to give the impresion that the quiet notes are louder.

If I could draw I could make it so much simpler :)
    There are plenty of help places around the net on compression, just type it into google... it makes a lot more sense with some graphs :)

5. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    so some people have told me a limiter can prevent a speaker from blowing when your slaping at high volumes is this the same for a compressor??

6. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    thanks for your explanations, ive also always wondered ohw they worked

any chance you could explain it in terms of sound waves?

thanks

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Info