Compressor....yay or ney

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, Jan 7, 2006.

1. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    So, how do ya all feel? Is compression a nessesary part of your rig? How much do you feel it actually effects your sound?
  2. since my Trace SMC head (with a built-in twin-band compressor) died I'm back to my old compressor-less Laney G150 for gigs, using the same Trace cab.

I have to say I don't really miss the compressor- apart from when playing harmonics- the compressor helped bring these out.
    otherwise I now appreciate having dynamics from changes in plucking technique and attack coming through unchanged by compression.
  3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    For how I use it, it is not absolutely necesary and it does not effect my sound. But the manner in which I use it, it shouldn't.
  4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I just can't get into the compressor. I use it for recording nut live I prefer to control my own dynamics.
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I love using heavy compression as an effect. But only as an effect, not something to use on every tune. Also, peak limiting can be quite useful if your bass, effects boxes, or slapping style are prone to loud peaks at certain frequencies. It's difficult to use hand technique to control some of the peaks from a Mutron or AF9 for example.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It depends on the genre, I think. In my own meddling about, I love compression, pretty heavy. It's a weird sound. But in my my band, it really heavys up the sound if I leave everything wide open.
  7. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    To me, a little compression (from the right device!) is a "nice-to-have" as opposed to an essential. I don't use compression as an effect, so it's strictly applied at lower ratios.

By the right device, I mean a Leveling Amplifier type of device, which I prefer 10:1 :)p ) over other types.
  8. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I like the sound of a heavily compressed bass, to the point that it's obviously compressed, in the studio. Live, it doesn't seem to translate as well, so I rarely use one.

Yes, the "Leveling Amplifier" type of device is fan-flipping-tastic, especially after the needle in front is bending under the strain of extreme compression :D
  9. jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    I can't turn my keeley compressor off.
    Nice and transparent compressor.
    It gives attack and definition to my sound, very helpfull to cut through the mix...
  10. +1