Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 24, 2005.

1. I dont really understand what the compressor exacly do.
    Does "Ghost notes" appear clearer with compressor?
    Can I still play Dynamic? Will you hear that I accent some notes, or will all notes have same Dynamic?

Thank you :rolleyes:

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    When I began my "quest for a compressor" this was posted by a friend of mine. I found it very useful, and hope you do also.

3. MusicMan27

MusicMan27

Jun 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    so can anyone comment on whether a compressor can boost ghost notes in a syncopated fingerstyle bassline? -or maybe make them seem boosted by lowering the regular notes. i would like the muted ghost notes to stand out more when playing with a drummer.

i am considering the EBS Multicomp - would some other effect be better for this?

this is my first post - thanks,

4. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    The compressor would do this; however, *how well* it does this depends on how big the volume difference is between these two types of notes. If the regular notes are much louder than the ghosted notes, they will require a lot of "crushing" to cut them down to size. And generally means a change in tone (which could be unpleasant.)

The EBS multicomp really doesn't provide enough compression to do drastic dynamics changes. What it does do well is take the edge off very loud notes and smooth out inconsistencies in right hand technique (especially when playing harder.) The effect is much more noticable when playing at full volume (for me). Also the multi-band & tubesim modes allow you to [very subtlely] bring out highs or enhance the mids respectively. They're sort of like a bonus. I noticed a little bit of breakup when playing certain notes very hard with my very loud fretless, and also I notice there is a tiny bit of high end loss when slapping on the fretted bass (though this rounder slap tone actually sounds better to me), but overall this thing is very transparent through all of its settings. Which is in contrast to the other pedal i tried:

I recently A/B'd the multicomp against a Carl Martin Comp/Limiter. Unlike the Multicomp, the Carl Martin *can* be cranked up to deliver the kind of heavy compression necessary to make all of your notes the same volume (i.e., your ghosted notes would be the same volume as all the regular notes.) However, I was disappointed to find that when I cranked the compression like that, there were drastic changes to my tone: all of the attack of the regular notes was getting subtracted, and the whole tone was sounding sort of weird. Also, it becomes possible to really hear the compressor working at these settings. I found all these changes to sound unpleasant.

In the end, I kept the EBS; I would rather have a versatile pedal that can apply less drastic compression very well than one that can apply more compression but loses its transparency doing so.

So back to your original question: a compressor can help with this, but only if the ghosted notes are already decently loud; Have you considered changing the strings or the setup? For example, when I switched to a lower action and stainless steel strings, I noticed right away that I was able to get very loud percussive type sounds much easier.

5. MusicMan27

MusicMan27

Jun 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    thanks osciphex, that is definitely a helpful response.

i dont nessesarily want the ghost notes to be the same volume as the regular notes, just a bit more noticeable. i am very happy with them when i play dry without a drummer, but they seem to get drowned out with drums and cymbals going.

it sounds like a bit of compression will help - the EBS sounds good. i want compression anyway to even out when i go from fingerstyle to slap.

for reference i am using a MM Sterling 4-string with rotosound roundwound stainless steel strings and an ampeg svt 350h with ampeg 4-10 cab

i have the action reasonably low, but i could try dropping it a bit and see. what type of strings are you using?

Thanks again...

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    The EBS Multicomp is one of the best-rated pedal compressors on TB for mild, smooth results.

You might find the threads in Bongomania's signature useful:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/member.php?u=63647

At the same price range, you should also consider the Demeter Compulator, IMO.

7. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I use DR Lo-riders set quite low. The rotosound swing bass strings are very similar. One issue: the lower you set your strings the softer you need to play in order to not get fret buzz on the normal notes. In my case, where I wanted to down-tune on top of the low action, the fret buzz eventually became too much. Ultimately I switched to heavy gauge lo-riders and had the action raised a little (I had a pro do this, I'm nervous about messing with my truss rod.) Now it's pretty perfect.

8. AEONmw

AEONmw

Jun 24, 2007
    Chico California
    It's easily possible to set a compressor such that all notes are heard. For example, barely touching a string to produce a teeny tiny note can be made to sound as loud as a hard slap.

To get the above response, the threshold would be set very low (or 'zero'), and the ratio would be very high.

Let's continue with the above example, only now let's say you wish to be able to distinguish a little more between the tiny quiet finger plucked note and a hard slap: You simply increase the threshold a little.