Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gkirkin, Oct 11, 2005.

1. gkirkin

gkirkin

May 23, 2005
    London
    Im looking for a single pedal compressor, just to make my sound a little punchier, which would you guys recomend??

Im looking at a Digitech, or a Boss.

2. My picks:

EBS Multicomp
    Aphex Punch Factory

Both are single floor pedals.
    The Punch Factory even has a DI on it.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use the Boss CS-3 for broadband compression. A lot of guys around here turn their noses up at them, though.

I'm sure there's better, but I like LOTS of compression, and leave mine ON full-time! I like it a lot. I like the 'side-effects'; I turn the Attack control up to about 2:00, and get a nice percussive, exaggerated attack - especially when I use a pick, then it's a nearly-obnoxious TICK - just like I like it!

It probably isn't as good at light compression; it has a pre-set compression ratio, and a pretty high one it is.

My FULL compression scheme is CS-3 followed by Aphex Big Bottom (Big Bottom is half of the Aphex Bass Xciter - it's a low-frequency-only compressor).
    That all into a GK 700RBII head, and I get a great tone out of the power amp for the JBL cab, OR to the post DI for recording or PA! I should get some clips up one of these days. I think I get a pretty spactacular sound nowadays...

Joe

4. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    +1

5. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    i own the punch factory and a demeter compulator and am happy with both.for live gigs im prefering the punch factory.i like the di on it,and you can send a wet or dry signal to the board.i used the demeter for only the second time the other day in the studio and was very impressed.it seemed to trim the highs a little more than the punch factory and to my ears didnt seem quite as punchy.but overall one of the nicest pedal
    comps ive tried.
    id say if money is an issue,a punch factory is a good buy for the money.if you got the scratch,go for the demeter compulator.