1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressors....... am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bthiemann80, Apr 16, 2010.

1. I recently started using compression in the form of a BBE Opto Stomp (props to Bongomania's comp reviews via Ovnilab) and for the most part have been very satisfied with the results. However, I can't help but think that there is something to be desired when using the BBE Opto Stomp. I haven't used pedal compression before, so I don't know what else if out there beyond the Opto Stomp and have been considering upgrading to a EBS Multicomp. The dual band compression feature intrigues me, as I feel the Opto Stomp doesn't do much for the low end as it does for the high end. This could just be me tho, but I was wondering if anyone had any input/advice or experience with the EBS multicomp that could be compared to the Opto Stomp.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, the only thing it sounds like you're missing is the bit about how compression is not generally all that impressive to hear. :) Most of the time, it should be either inaudible, or only subtly colored. There are some comps which incidentally provide a lot of effect-y-ness, but the BBE is not one of those. The EBS has some mild coloration in the Tubesim mode, but not in the other modes. If you wanted more emphasis of the low end, then actually a dual-band comp is not for you. Dual-bands actually tend to emphasize the highs more, and in some cases may even seem to be shy in the low end, because of the greater degree that the low band is usually compressed (reduced) compared to the high band, since the lows tend to have bigger peaks.

What effect, tone, or quality are you looking to achieve?

3. Thanks for the reply bongomania! I was unaware of how a dual band comp worked, but when you think about it, it really makes sense that it would seem like the low end was less present relative to the highs due to the low band being compressed. What I'm looking for is a little more tightness in the low end, which i'm thinking now may not be a compression issue but more an EQ issue. So for now it seems my comp needs are adequately met w/ the BBE, being that I'm not missing anything by way of overall compression as it is intended to be used. I'll have to buckle down w/ the EQ section and see what we can't sort out. Thanks again bongo, the ovnilab website you have rocks too!!

4. Thanks for explaining that.I have the EBS pedal and I never liked the dual comp setting I fiddled around with the internal trim pots but I never quite got it to where it would make an improvement over the regular comp modes.I did like the tubism setting best.I'm not using it anymore because my amp is an EBS HD 350 which has a compressor built in in addition to the drive setting which I guess is kind of like the tubism.I'm using it very sparingly and it does the trick.

5. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Tubesim and drive on the EBS heads aren't the same, but if you like it, don't stop believing.