Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressors and noise gates.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dharma, Dec 9, 2005.

1. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    For lack of experience, here comes a newb question.

Would it be in my interest to track down a noise gate or dampener of some kind to take the hiss out of my signal after I funnel it into my EH Black Finger?

If so, what could I put my hands on for under $100?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. Hey Dharma, have you tried to simply replace the tube? I think last time I told you go check technician but if you get a new tube for it, you might be lucky. It uses 12AX7. EHX sells on for less than $10. Hope this helps!

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Absolutely, Jazz.

No other supressor anywhere close to the price will do what the NS-2 will. This is because of the Boss unit's remote sensing - this makes 'all the difference in the world' for two distinct but related reasons, both having to do with tracking and threshold-sensing:

First, the threshold-sensing doesn't have to 'look through the noise' to detect whether you mean to be sounding a note; the BASS plugs right into the NS-2, and the noisy-stuff goes in the send/return loop, so the detector circuitry is only seeing pure-as-the-driven-snow BASS - it knows bass from noise!

Secondly - and this makes a huge difference in practical, real-world usage of the thing - you can change the sound in the loop WITHOUT the need to re-adjust the expander threshold! The other kind of gates or expanders (non-remote-sensing) require you to compensate the threshold level every time you change the gain of anything before them, if you want them to perform accurately or somewhat-consistently!

I should mention that it's not a 'gate', technically; it's an expander - a smooth, natural-sounding expander. Notes fade naturally; you'll never hear it stutter on the end of a sustaining note, OR pop on an attack transient.

Now when you use the NS-2 along with a compressor, and you put the compressor in the loop, You have a double-advantage, because as long as the gate's decay time is equal-to or quicker-than the compressor's release time - which is easy, because the NS offers a nice, fast decay - then you won't get any noticable noise surge ('breathing') when you suddenly, cleanly cut-off a note - even with quite-radical amounts of compression! Yea, even if you follow the compressor with a distortion! On my setup, my highest-gain distortion tone (a hard-slammin' CS-3 into an Bass Xciter into an ODB-3) is literally completely un-usable without the NS-2, and spectacular with; if I turn-off the NS-2 at stage volume, I get immediate, continuous, uncontrollable pickup-squeel - along with a contant rush of noise that's nearly as loud as the squeeling, when ever I stop playing (remember that in this case the compressor stops 'compressing', and opens-up to full, maximum gain; when I'm playing, the compressor is exhibiting gain reduction). With the unit engaged, there is literally NO squeel, and essentially NO detectable noise if I play clean, muting-wise.

Sorry for all the exclamation-points, but... this thing REALLY works!

Seeya -

Joe