1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressors and tube amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CRich0205, Dec 2, 2017.

1. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    Quick question about compression. I have recently started building up a pedal board again and one pedal I haven't considered too much is a compressor. I've had a Keeley bassist and an Xotic sp in years past. My current rig is a fender PJ and tech 21 VT bass deluxe at church for IEM only or an SVT 2 pro and 810 or 212 depending on the gig.

I haven't had a compressor pedal in a few years but have considered another one for the occasional slap lick or general evenness on some of my bands original songs. I understand tube amps will compressor your tone a little bit and the VT does as well.

Ive considered another keeley bassist, but also the seymour duncan studio bass or the MXR M87. Like to stay under 150 and used is perfectly acceptable. What are your favorites? Quiet is a huge plus and ease of use.

Zoobiedood and Daniel Piper like this.
  2. My main amps(peavey vb-2, mesa 400) are tube amps, and i do benefit from a little compression. Mainly from a SD studio bass, but also from different built in compression settings in my H9. It tightens and boost the signal and helps my clean tone from becoming sluggish when playing harder.

CRich0205 and Daniel Piper like this.
  3. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Bassist

Love mine.

4. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Diamond BCP-1 for some mild compression and a little extra fat and shiny.

blindrabbit and FullTime Tim like this.
  5. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I'm new to the comp scene. I've tried the Diamond, the Wampler Ego and the MXR M 87.

The M87 won. It's very easy to dial in on the fly and I like the lack of any color/character. It really helps with punch, clarity and note definition. BUT, I still am able to use dynamics. I'm very pleased.

Usidore T Blue likes this.
  6. I just use my amp as my compressor.

kat888 likes this.
  7. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I've read that a lot about the diamond. My only concern with it would be if it makes your tone fatter I kind of already have that with the SVT.

kat888 likes this.
  8. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    This is what I've done so far but a little help leveling things couldn't hurt.

kat888 likes this.
  9. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    If you want a peak levelling, won't the Diamond be too gentle? Limiting peaks is something the MXR does better because you can crank the ratio. Diamond is less than 3:1.

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  10. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas

Hmm I did not know that. Lots of video demos and stuff so far but I have some time to get one picked out.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    EHX Black Finger

I have read that some people have had noise issues with theirs. I never have. It does perfectly what you are describing. It's also a nice fattener preamp even if you don't use the compression. As if that weren't enough, yo u can actually nice in a tad bit of overdrive if you want to use it for that as well. Super versatile pedal.

Mine only made noise in one church building, but everyone was having noise issues that day, not just me.

12. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Well there is that. I found with my old pickups that the comp added a little 'je ne sais quoi' to the tone going into the Traynor. The Thunderbuckers are a different story. It tames and flattens the envelope, removing some of the snarl. I'm struggling with it at the moment. Which do I want more -- snarl or fat?

13. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I haven't tried every pedal out there, but the M87 is perfect for what I need it for (catching peaks, not changing my tone). I go into a tube pre as well.

Usidore T Blue likes this.
  14. Levelling an 810?

51Ss2uQ-yQL._SL500_AC_SS350_.

The wedges won't compress like cardboard.

Joking aside, and going with quiet and ease of use, Empress or Cali. Both of those aren't as easy to use as some compressors with fewer knobs, but they have LED metering and getting the hang of them shouldn't be a problem if I can figure out my Cali (big box).

CRich0205 likes this.
  15. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I love the TC Spectracomp pedal, it’s a 3-band multiband compressor and used properly it’s amazing. The other compressor I love? My hands. I just played a gig with nothing but the DI out of my wireless running into the PA and my in-ears and it was awesome.

Tom

CRich0205 likes this.
  16. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    I have a Khan VTDI tube pre on my board but still like using a little compression to smooth things out a bit and fatten my tone even more.. I owned and sold a Cali CB and and Empress. They were overkill for me with respect to settings and not very intuitive. I was lucky enough enough to buy a 3Leaf Audio PWNZOR (discontinued) and can't say enough good things about it. It's my first optical compressor. The equivalent available optical compressor would be the Diamond referranced above.

CRich0205 and kat888 like this.
  17. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Seconded. If you liked the Keeley in the past, then it will have no learning curve for you, . Can't say that for the M87.

CRich0205 and lowplaces like this.
  18. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I'll look up some demos and stuff on that one. I've generally liked my EHX stuff.