Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressors, and what they do for you?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Just a quick question about compressors. A while back I was playing with a group and I was hooked up with an ampeg B2R head, with some compressor, and an SWR Workingman 4x10. Now when playing my BTB the sound was amazing. It had this real timbery, extremely tight and punchy sound. Really it's the only time I've enjoyed playing the thing. Anyway, my Workingman 4004 and Ampeg 6x10 Classic has this huge sloppy, abundance of bass sound. Now the problem, and question, is that my A string has absolutely no color, it doesn't stand out at all. Can't even hear it. And without cranking the the treble and getting all kind of fret noise and just noise from the head I can't hear my high D or G. So my question is. Was it the compressor, the B2R, or the SWR 4x10 cabinet that made such a difference? And would getting a compressor essentially help reduce my low end blubber and will it in any way brighten up round the rest of my string sound? Sorry about the wordy composition. Didn't know how else to explain.

2. By the way I no longer have in my possesion the SWR 4x10, Ampeg B2R, and the compressor. I'm playing the Workingman 4004 and the Ampeg 6x10 Classic. This is the rig in question. Will the compressor do anything for it.

3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Good question.......bump.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Judiciously applied, I find that compression makes my bass sound punchier, tighter and more even without losing dynamic expression. It's particularly good at making low notes less boomy and high notes more thick, thus evening out the tone across the whole range of the bass.

It is no substitute for technique, and when used badly (which is easily done because most compressors are counter-intuitive) it can remove all the cut and expression from your tone.

Look out for a discontinued TE Compressor pedal on ebay. IME they are the most transparent and punchiest low budget bass compressor available.

Alex

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
  6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Try the Tech 21 Bass Compactor pedal. I use it in my chain that includes a Morley Bass wah, GK2001RB and GK410RBH, GK115RBH and it makes the thick rich tone pop right out.

7. Thanks a lot. That's what I was looking for.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Just got a new-used Trace Elloit SMX-Dual compressor.
    Can't play without it, for live playing.
    Great!!!!!