1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressors necessary?!?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapmachine, Oct 30, 2010.

1. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Whats the low down with compressors, do i need one? If so can you guys reccomend one that rocks with some thought of price in mind. Tryin to get this money used up as well as i can !

2. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    I play slap, and in live situation or even recording, I do feel the need of compressor just to even out the dynamics..

I use EBS Multicomp.

3. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Ok, that helps a lot because i slap a ton too lol

4. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    Yeah. MultiComp is one good pedal. I've tried the Boss LMB3 or Boss Compressor and they aren't good. MultiComp is 2 band compressor, meaning that it separates the high and low freq.. It's got 3 modes. Normal, Tube & MB. Very very good if you don't want to fork out alot of money for rack compressor.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i was using one and now i don't. i like not using one better. let the house guy crush my tone if he must, but i like to hear it as is these days.

7. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    I'm diggin' my Aguilar TLC. Not too squishy, not too much tone color, just right.

8. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    I have moved away from compressors, I could see using one if i played slap-a-bass but I dont.

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    To my ear, my compressor makes my bass sound more electric as opposed to acoustic. It imparts a certain flavor and that's what I use it for. More punch, gloss, tension.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you want your tone to sound slightly to heavily compressed, a compressor is necessary. Otherwise....

11. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I don't slap... I play fingerstyle exclusively. But compression is my favorite effect for bass. I like my compression transparent for the most part, and am delighted with my EBS Multicomp. I also use a Durham Sex Drive for a mildly overdriven tone, and that has its own compression circuit. Do I run the EBS compression at the same time as the Sex Drive compression? Yes I do! It works on a couple of tunes we do where I need to sustain notes over a full measure or even two at slow tempos. Heavenly.

12. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Both live and in the studio -- too much compression will squash the sound and you lose punch and dynamics.

But a TEENY bit, does even out the sound and controls peaks without affecting the sound too much.

So...I use a TEENY bit.

Pretty simple.

13. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    If you can figure out how to make it do what you need it to do, a good compressor can be an essential (almost magical) part of your sound. But in my own experience, it can take a lot of knob tweaking (and a lot of thinking "how is this better, or even not worse, than just my unaffected signal?") before you nail it. I'm using an Aguilar TLC right now, and when I get it in the sweet spot I'm in heaven.

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    ^^^ That's where I'm at too. I have spent enough hours tweaking what I want from a compressor that I am able to stay in the "magic tone sweet spot" where it doesn't negatively affect the sound/feel of my dynamics. But it certainly did take a lot of time and work to get there.

15. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    Anyone use the dbx 160a compressor? (1/2 rack)
    B.

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I am using the Markbass one right now. Big, bulky and expensive. But, it sounds pretty good.

17. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    it's got that through tube comp going on though. my next purchase :bassist:

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The half-rack one is the 163A or 163X. Unless you mean the oldest ones, the 160 with no suffix (sometimes called the 160 VU).

19. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    1/2 space rack mount

[​IMG]
    B.

20. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR