Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressors -- T.C. Electronic Triple-C vs. dbx 160A?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lockout, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I've been thinking about buying a compressor lately, and I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with either of these units, or better yet, if any of you have experience with both of them or have compared them side-by-side.

I used to own a dbx 160A, but I sold it a while back to help pay for my preamp. I was going to just buy another one when I could afford it, but the other day I saw a few threads discussing the Triple-C, and I found a used one for sale. Now I'm trying to decide if I should try to snatch up the Triple-C or just buy a dbx 160A like I had originally planned.

I realize these two units are quite different, the dbx being pretty simple and straight-forward, and the T.C. Electronic being rather complex, but that really doesn't bother me. I don't have a strong preference for either one.

So, can anyone tell me how these two compare? I'm mainly concerned about sound quality and how well they work for bass.

I know the dbx would work alright for me since I have had experience with it, but would the Triple-C be a better choice, if I can manage to get it for a good price?

2. The Triple-C is a great compressor with amazing flexibility. You can tweak until your fingers go numb - plus there's a ton of very useable presets. One thing to be aware of is, since they have been out of production for awhile repair parts potentially can be very difficult to find. I had a board go bad and they had to scrounge a replacement from one of the units used by their support techs.

However, it's still an excellent compressor.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    while we are on teh topic, can anyone tell me what a compressor does and why or why not i should need one. ive never had and i dont see the use in them. but im ignorant to them and it seems like everyone else has them. thanks.