1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Compressors that warm your tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psi, Apr 13, 2006.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Does any one know of a compressor that is NOT transparent but instead adds warmth to your tone for a vintage sound? I read some where that tube compressors are the best bet. Suggestions?

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    PedalworX Squeeze Factor.

I did a review here

3. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    In the compressor review thread there is a post listing all of the tube (or tube-emulating) compressors I know of. Of course tubes are not actually a guarantee of "warm tone". The Ross clones and Squeezer clones (like the Pedalworx and Diamondpedals units mentioned above) are non-tube units famous for warm tone.

5. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    IMO, ART Levelar is a very nice, and very inexpensive, LA type compressor. It might be the ticket for you, and can be had for as little as $50 if you watch for one.

6. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    +1 on the ART Levelar. I also am currently addicted to my Carl Martin compressor. It's a nice thickening agent once I learned how to use it.

Others I like: Toadworks Mr. Squishy, EH Black Finger.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    For $25-40 you can find an old ART Levelar compressor on Ebay. It is a tube compressor mine works pretty nicely.