1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

compressors!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lo-end, Jul 18, 2001.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I am looking for a good compressor. I dont care if its a stompbox-style or a rackmount compressor, just as long as its good. What kind of compressor is good for bass players?

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi Lo-end,
    well if you want a stompbox then you should checkout the Boss Bass limiter/enhancer or the EBS multicomp ( this one is $239 list, but "Bass Player" give a high grade in their test)
    IMO rack mount compressors are more flexible, you can find the dbx 266XL for less than $200, and its a very good gate/compressor you can use for your bass or even as a studio recording gear......

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    mxr dyna comp
    tech 21 bass compactor

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Try the FMR Audio 1773 RNC - "Really Nice Compressor".

It's under $200, rackmount, sounds fantastic, and has the best bang-for-buck, imho. It's a valuable part of my studio.

http://www.fmraudio.com

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    hey i keep hearing everyone using IMO, IMHO, IME, etc. what do all these things mean? By the way, thanks for the advice on the compressors guys.

6. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    IMO - In My Opinion
    IMHO - In my Humble Opinion
    IME - In my "experience'? (not sure about this one)

These are just common internet abbreviations. There are many others.

7. lo-end I hear ya like GAS what the heck does that mean ooops off topic uh... yeah... compressors are cool?

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    lol... GAS is also known as "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" which is when you see or play a bass and you just HAVE to have it, no matter what. Basically you become obsessed with it.

Thank God I dont have any money, or else I'd have 10 basses sitting around my house. :D

you must have read that in Stingray5's thread about the lefty Lakland that only cost $200 more than his Stingray5.