Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lo-end, Jul 18, 2001.

1. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I am looking for a good compressor. I dont care if its a stompbox-style or a rackmount compressor, just as long as its good. What kind of compressor is good for bass players?
  2. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi Lo-end,
    well if you want a stompbox then you should checkout the Boss Bass limiter/enhancer or the EBS multicomp ( this one is $239 list, but "Bass Player" give a high grade in their test)
    IMO rack mount compressors are more flexible, you can find the dbx 266XL for less than $200, and its a very good gate/compressor you can use for your bass or even as a studio recording gear......
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    mxr dyna comp
    tech 21 bass compactor
  4. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Try the FMR Audio 1773 RNC - "Really Nice Compressor".

It's under $200, rackmount, sounds fantastic, and has the best bang-for-buck, imho. It's a valuable part of my studio.
  5. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    hey i keep hearing everyone using IMO, IMHO, IME, etc. what do all these things mean? By the way, thanks for the advice on the compressors guys.
  6. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    IMO - In My Opinion
    IMHO - In my Humble Opinion
    IME - In my "experience'? (not sure about this one)

These are just common internet abbreviations. There are many others.
  7. lo-end I hear ya like GAS what the heck does that mean ooops off topic uh... yeah... compressors are cool?
  8. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    lol... GAS is also known as "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" which is when you see or play a bass and you just HAVE to have it, no matter what. Basically you become obsessed with it.

Thank God I dont have any money, or else I'd have 10 basses sitting around my house. :D

you must have read that in Stingray5's thread about the lefty Lakland that only cost $200 more than his Stingray5.