Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by big_goofy_bass_player, Feb 5, 2000.

1. big_goofy_bass_player

big_goofy_bass_player

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm looking to buy a compressor pretty soon and was wondering what you guys rate/hate. I don't mind weather its a stomp box or rack mounted, but I don't want to spend much more than £80 (I think thats about $120 U.S.).

I'm going to use it with my overdrive pedal as a volume kind of thing. Swicthing between clear and driven is to much of a leap, so the idea is, leave the overdrive on and switch the compressor on and off. I can only think off a one player that does this, that being Bob Fairfoul of iDLEWiLD. Any sugestions of other ways the deal with this problem greatly recieved.

Cheers. Jim.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I hate compression of any kind! Period! IMO, compression sucks the life right out of track. I didn't spend years "learning" touch, tone, dynamics, pressure, blahblahblah to have some engineer sit back & tweak a knob to dial in "my" sound.
    Sorry...all the Vets here know my posture on this subject-I hope I didn't let you guys down ;-)

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Agreed. Try a limiter.

------------------
    Chris

4. big_goofy_bass_player

big_goofy_bass_player

Dec 13, 1999
    Whats a limiter do then, who makes them and how much do they cost..??

Jim

5. big_goofy_bass_player

big_goofy_bass_player

Dec 13, 1999
    Whats a limiter do then, who makes them and how much do they cost..??

Still open to suggestions of compressors though.

Jim

6. I don't totally agree with you, JimK and CS, although I'm much less experienced as you.

I've got a compression potentiometer on my amp, and it is very helpfull to me.

When I had my older bass, which was not very good to me, the compression helped me to have a punchy sound (in fact, I agree that it shadowed the horrible sound of my aria pro II, especially in slapping).

I was pretty sure that when I got my Stingray, I would never use this again. In fact, this bass is so powerful that a bit (2/10) of compression is cool to lower the sound when slapping.

I'm still convinced that I could play without. I would never buy one now, but it's on the amp, I can't do anything against that !!!

Notice that it's something due to my configuration, in fact I think it depends on the bass and on the amp you own (I would never use any compression of any kind on a Ampeg SVT - no use).

goofy, what are your bass and amps ?

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jere-when you say "...although I'm much less experienced as you", you're REALLY sayin'-
    "...you guys are a couple of fossils". True?

I've told my stories in the past...suffice to say, I've been "had" by a couple of enginneers who swore by compression. My crisp 'popping' got flattened to a dull poof. It wasn't my session or $$$...the way I look at it is like this: I delivered the 'goods', they(engineer &/or songwriter)decided to alter it. Whatever.

BTW-looks like I gotta watch my step on the "BASSES" category, eh? "Big Brother" Jere is watchin'! [​IMG]

8. Fossils...
    Hi JimK ; would never have thought you're fossil man (you're 42 or something, the state 'fossil' begins only with the age 45 [​IMG] ) !!! But I've been playing since 3 years only, and you've been playing since 20 years or more, right ?

Compression...
    I begin to know a bit about you, and I know what you think about FX in general ; and since I got my new bass, I'm step by step getting the same philosophy : good bass => good sound => no need for FX. I didn't touch my wah since 2 weeks...

Big Brother...
    This job had to be done, don't you agree ? and I'm sooooo proud to have this 'moderator' written under my name. Newbies will think I'm a bass hero [​IMG].

9. Tim

Tim

Jan 29, 2000
    I would strongly disagree with such strong opinions being offered as advice without any reference to what style of music you play and without any reguards to your technique, I am primarily a jazz player and I do not use any compression in this situation for exactly the reason that is stated in previous submissions. I also sub in many other styles of music and I have found that for rock and funk, compression (3/1-4/1) actually serves to make my bass come out in the mix and gives a very defined "chest level" attack to my sound that works very well with the bass drum. In the studio I find compression to be more of a crutch but due to the precision sound that is available in a modern recording studio it has become almost necessary to the point many studion musicians bring thier own compressor (the only "big league" studio guy who does not like to use it that I am aware of is Lee Sklar).
    I guess the only point that I am trying to make with this is that there is no universal answers on isssues like this and what works for one person may completely offend someone else as a more experienced players we can offer advice based on experiences but I think that it is always important to offer the opposing viewpoint.

------------------
    -Tim

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Tim, where do we start.

This board is about peoples opinions. A bloke wanted to buy a compressor. Jimk said he hates all pedals, thats his opinion. I said try a limiter cos mines always on. Jere got involved and called us fossils. We have opposing views, fine, thats what I like about this board. Your post comes across as negative and critical of all who came before. The key point is comes across. Look at some of the mega posts mostly by Jere.
    On the Funk and slap bass thread people were giving opinions on what to try after Jere had ordered a Stingray and some after he bought it. Do you want to criticise them?
    This board once again is about opinions on bass stuff. Do you want to come across as critical and negative? I cut people an amount of slack because I am treated the same way and beleive me if saying stupid things was an olympic sport I'd get gold.
    I once posted the wrong switch setting for a bass and was corrected in a way that was not offensive. I was wrong. So tell me where am I going wrong by recommending a limiter to someone intending to buy a compressor. Especially bearing in mind the criticsm re dynamic sucking.
    So a more positive approach would be to ask what style of music was played, and the opinion that you dont like compressors for jazz. Now I am arguing with you because I want this board to remain the interesting resource that it is with you as a continuing member.I eagerly await your reply.

Jere I have not been insulting or used foul language moderate away and congratulations.

Ah the point a limiter is like a compressor, how I dont know ,but it tends to even the sound out without changing dynamics much . I have a boss limiter that has been superceded by the LM3 limiter/exciter.
    Boss stuff is always cost effective but has a buffered bypass which lets some of the tone through. True bypass is found on the boutique stuff which is more expensive. Use your ears. Lets the debate rage on and I want to see a clean fight...........

------------------
    Chris

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    To prove the point about stupid is... the buffered bypass lets some of the effect through not tone. Although.....

------------------
    Chris

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well...what Tim's sayin' makes sense; we're all different with different needs-EVERYBODY should, by now, know my spiel on compression. Everytime I see "Compression" in a thread, I react; the "vets" here EXPECT that reaction from me...it's almost kind of a standing joke.
    For me, the type of music I'm playing is irrelevant as to whether I "need" some compression; if my hands can't pull it off, then I need to shed & find a way(somehow). That's just me, though...whatever works for you is fine, too!
    Tim-so you like Anthony Jackson & John Patitucci? I almost bought IMPRINT today(JP's newest)...instead I ordered TRIO IN TOKYO(Michel Petrucciani, Anthony Jackson, & Steve Gadd)-ever hear that one?

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ok maybe I was a little harsh. The bloke wants to buy a compressor and who cares what he uses it for thats his decision.

This board constantly throws up different views and opinions, lets keep em coming. I dont want people to not post their opinion for fear of critiscm.

There was a time when electiric basses were fretted and you couldn't take the frets off.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Chris

14. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I'll vouch for Jim. He has a long and distinguished history of going high and to the right on this topic. His response was everything I hoped it would be.

By the way, does anyone remember what setting Jaco used on "Portrait of Tracy?" [​IMG]

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm with Jim on compression - it's what engineers who don't like bass do to you as revenge. To me it's just covering up deficiencies in tone or technique. Most of them just add noise into the signal chain anyway.

I think that a limiter would be worse from my point of view - but then that's because I like dynamics in music. I think that this is just as important as say, rhythm, melody etc. and is an "effect" you can use to add interest. Taking this away is "limiting" yourself in terms of what you can do.

16. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    I use compression and like it, but as an effect it is one that should not really be heard. I use mine after a tube preamp, setting the preamp so that when I dig in to the strings I get a little bit of distortion , but close to the same level. This amounts to a more trebly sound when I want it. I just have my compressor set so that when I push my preamp, the levels don’t go through the roof. Rane has one (DC-24) that allows highs and lows to be processed independent from each other. This is what I use and nothing else except for a volume pedal and a tuner.

Almost any CD you can buy has compression in one form or another. Either the Amps or the tapes are saturating or in post production they do multi band compression. Its all around you. If you listen to FM radio, you are hearing compression. Ears and the mind naturally do some compression. See Joe Meek site…but beware of too much of a good thing!

I have been more into subtle lately than over the top, so I am going to say that you may not get the mileage that you are looking for if you want a compressor to CHANGE your sound. I think that the fingers are the best tool for this end. Keep um on the strings and away from the knobs.

Good luck

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ladies and gentlemen boys and girls children of all ages, I proudly present the tag team champions of the world… The Road Dog JimK and B.A. Bruce Lindfield. !!!!!!!!!!!!! Ding Ding.

Jim
    I quote ‘ I hate compression of any kind, period.” Looking on your profile you have a 64 bassman. What do valves do to the sound? I’ll buy the bassman from you cos I like compression [​IMG]looking forward to your reply. Now for your partner.

Bruce
    Norman Watt Roy’s bass on Rhythm stick sounds compressed to me. [​IMG]
    For those of you emotionally scarred by insensitive engineers and producers I’ll start a thread.off topic. I’m good to you. Oh and its no holds barred. [​IMG]

Big goofy Sorry I got sidetracked  If you hav’nt been put off, you might still want to buy a compressor .

You could look at the Visual Sound Route 66. It has a TS808 overdrive on one side and a compressor on the other. There is a review in the SRV issue of TGM and they are about a hundred quid.. Tubescreamers and clones suffer from lack of bass, this one has a bass boost switch. It has true bypass and you could use one pedal for OD and compression. Also Boss does the CS3 and LM3 under 80 quid and Dod do the milk box. I have not tried the Dod, its about 50 quid. I have not tried the Route 66 yet.

RockinJC succinctly said, do you want to be my tag team partner?

Can’t wait for round 3. And that’s the bottom line. [​IMG]
    Stonecold CS

------------------
    Chris

18. big_goofy_bass_player

big_goofy_bass_player

Dec 13, 1999
    Hello, me again the guy who started all this trouble.

Right I still have had no posts on the info I actually wanted, anyone know of any compressor stomp boxes, make, price, etc...??

However since people have started a big uproar about why people use effects and so on I'd like to have my stab.

Why does it matter..? If you want to use effects use them. Use them how you want, turn it all up to ten, or spend hours finding that sound your looking for.

This is a large community (world wide supposedly) and I think people are becoming really prejudice about other peoples playing styles. I can respect all you jazz players out there, who play some blinding stuff, but good rock bassist are equally talented. Two extremes I know but what I'm trying to say is everyone just chill. If you have some information someone is looking for or a suggestion of something they might like to try post it, but don't start all this "I can't see why people need to use effects". Just because someone has a couple of stomp boxes doesn't mean they're any less of a player (and switching them on and off at the right time is quite a skill anyway).

Can't everyone just get along, at the end of the day we've all got 4 strings (not forgeting all you 5 and 6 stringers but you know what I mean). If we can't I have a suggestion for the re-naming of this board to slag_off_other_styles_of_bass.com

Jim

19. big_goofy_bass_player

big_goofy_bass_player

Dec 13, 1999
    Apologies, there is some valid info I after there, took some finding though. Cheers for the suggestions of the CS3 and LM3 I shall be trying them out in my local music store this weekend.

20. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Big goofy I apologise for taking part in the hijacking of your thread. I did get short with Tim and will apologise if he re appears. However I like bantering with JimK Bruce Jere etc and mean no harm. In humour we sometimes cross the line. If I do I apologise. Happy hunting on the compressors.

------------------
    Chris