Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ganga, Jul 27, 2005.

1. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Hello fellow TBers. :)

I don't know if I posted this the right place, but i figured compression is an effect so here it goes.

I'm looking for some help with picking out a good compressor for my bass, and I really don't know what I should look for. It doesn't matter if it's a rack or just a pedal, but since i am kind of a tweak freak, a rack compressor would probably be preferred.

All I really wanted to hear out were your thoughts and testimonials on some different compressors, eg. What do you use? Why that? and so forth. :)

I hope you can help me out with picking one, if you need any information from me just write it here and I'll respond of course.

2. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  3. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Okay, thanks. :)
  4. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I like the Aphex Punch Factor. It's a pedal and has a D.I. It doesn't destroy your tone and does the squash thing really well.
  5. This topic seems to pop up every couple of weeks or so. In pedal format, the top vote getters seem to be the Aphex mentioned above, EBS, Demeter and Electro-Harmonix Black Finger. The dBX rack unit seems to get a lot of mention, but I usually pay closer attention to the pedal comments. I don't have any of these myself...just been doing a lot of reading because this is something I've been interested in lately (after some 20 years of playing). Overall, the theme seems to be "you get what you pay for," which is why I haven't rushed out to buy anything just yet.
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think there's a pretty big difference between running compression on the floor, and in the amp-loop. The loops are usually AFTER the tone controls, and a pedal is always before. This means that with it in the loop, frequencies that are boosted with the amp EQ will be compressed more, so that the resulting (above-threshold) output volume will be more more even, even if you get radical with the tone controls. With compression BEFORE everything, then the final output volume will more reflect any cuts and boosts that you've imposed.

Also, any effects that are after the on-the-floor comp will get the benefit of the compression. I especially like this for distortion - I like the more synth-y sound that I get with the compressor before.

7. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Thanks Joe, that's a big help. :)