1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Computer Advice/Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassguitarist08, Nov 27, 2006.

1. bassguitarist08

bassguitarist08

Jun 12, 2006
    ok guys I need some help!

I've had my old computer now (Dell something or another) for going on 4 years now, and am currently looking to upgrade to a new computer. I have my sights set on an XPS:

XPS 210: http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_210?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

XPS 410:
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_410?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Both are within the price range--I would like to keep it at 1,000.00 or alittle over. I choose the XPS brand because I am an Avid gamer on PC (World of Warcraft-Medivh server, Dungeon Siege, Counter Strike, etc...).

I currently work part time at A grocery store (I am still in High school--on my way to college) and make 6.30 an hour with roughly 19 hrs available for me a week, if I'm lucky.

So What I need to ask of you guys is advice on how to pay for one of these computers, perhaps with a parent's help--though not by much. Please give me suggestions that are logical--or reasonable. Credit really isn't an option for me.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    First off, if you're going to buy a whole new system buy from somewhere that is going to give you more for your money. I recommend www.cyberpowerpc.com. They do good, neat work and it's completely customizable...you choose all components. They also have a 3 year warranty and lifetime phone support.

Secondly, you could save some money by building your own IF you can scavenge some parts or use some parts that you already have. If you are building with 100% new components then just order from Cyberpower because you can't beat their prices by building your own. I've done part-by-part comparisons.

As far as paying just save your money the best you can and try to pick up odd jobs around the neighborhood or something. This is a good time of the year to do some raking for people. Many people are glad to pay to have their leaves raked up.

bc

3. Christmas is coming up soon, or the holidays atleast (since I have no clue what religion you are). I am sure you will get a decent amount of cash from that, plus you will have a gift.

Maybe set up a payment plan with your parents where they pay the difference (from what money you have saved up and christmas money you get), and then you pay them back over time.

Edit: After reading the above post, I should've thought of that too. If you have a friend with any experience at all and don't mind doing some research, building computers is great. For around $600 I built a computer that probably would've cost me well over $1000 from a company. And raking/snow shoveling is an awesome business to get into pending you live in the right neighborhood (even travel if you have to).

4. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Not sure if this link will work, but if you go to the Dell Outlet and search for XPS 210's, I found 4 210's starting at $489.00 and 2 410's starting at $600.
    http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...line/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

I've purchased 2 PC's from the Outlet and will absolutely do it again. You can buy as much warranty as you want. (Me, I'm a 30 day warranty kind of guy. After that, I'll do it myself).

5. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    If you're really interested in building, you should check out:

http://tomshardware.com

They have lists of equipment (best bang per buck) and how-to's and forums. People are usually really cool and will help you out with most questions. Unless theres a question they've heard like a million times before, and they get all "Use the search function plzkthnxbye".

6. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Oh, and yeah, you could always ask us ;)

!*!~ FTW ~!*!

Core 2 Duo e6300
    Cheap Mobo
    PCI-E 16x Graphics card
    Gig of Ram

!*!~ FTW ~!*!