Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer Advice

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 21, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hi i'm planning on getting a new laptop in the summer and I want to make some demos with my bass maybe a guitar and some other instuments. I'm looking at the new sony nv series and the new 700 mhz ibook I only have $2200 to spend so any ideas which would be better for this purpose. This is not a apple vs windows question. I understand I will have to buy some thing to brige the gap between instrument and computer and ideas I'd prefer some thing usb or firewire. Battery life and weight is not an issue for the computer it just has to be a laptop.

Also where can I find out more info on laptop recording.

Thanx in advance.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well both will fo what you want them to do. I think it depends on what OS you want to use really. Although software is cheaper for PC. Sort of a choose your flavor at this point. You have enough cash for either, though it goes farther in a PC. check out The Recording Website or recording.org

3. I recommend looking in the Motu 828. It's a firewire i/o that has 8 inputs. 2 of which are the neutrik XLR / 1/4" style inputs. The only thing with that is, you will have to purchase seperate software because it comes with Digital Performer which is a Mac program.

You could also look into the Digidesign Mbox, which is a 2 channel USB i/o that has 2 XLR / 1/4" combo jacks. That will come with Pro Tools LE which you would be able to use on your PC. The only thing is, the Mbox has not yet been released for windows, only mac currently, and also, Pro Tools still hasn't been released in a Win XP compatable version.

4. I would really recommend going with a desktop.

5. You know what, if you do have the space and don't need to go laptop, i would definately second that comment. I'm trying myself to get quality recording gear for a laptop at good prices, but i'd rather be on a desktop if possible, which isn't. My college requires students to be on laptops. I'd go mac, but it's gotta be PC, granted, i'm a PC person, but for recording i'd rather be mac.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I can't get a desktop because I will be buying the computer in america and bringing it back here so a laptop is the only option. I've been looking at that new zoom multi tracker and drum machine i can get both for about $350. So i can record on the zoom and then transfer it to the mac and edit it. Would this be a good setup or should I look at something else.