Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

computer amp problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jan 3, 2001.

1. well this is how it goes...i connected my amp to my PC and it worked!!! but i had an idea that "maybe if i use the Boss Bass Equalizer to get more highs and mids i can get a close to stereo sound." i did it...now there are no sounds whatsoever coming outta my computer...not even from my PC speakers...can anyone help me?

2. can you play sound files that are on your machine still?
    ie. midi and wavs.

3. no sound at all! now what?

4. if you do a search on say a wav file and then click on it do you get an error?
    what kind of computer is it?
    make sure the speakers are pluged in correct, i know thats an easy one but i have seen it happen.
    other than that its possible that the current from the pedal cooked the sound card.

5. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    You either have something hooked up wrong or something somewhere turned off. What kind of software do you use? I use creative and am always hooking and unhooking things. I pretty much use trial and error and am always frustrated. But I usually figure it out. (Eventually!) Give me some more details and I might be able to help you.

6. you've connected your amp to the PC - using the line out on the amp or speaker out? and into the line in or mic in on the soundcard?

PC soundcards aren't built anything like the gear we're used to - you may well have blown it. as people have said, see if you can still play normal .WAV files (or MP3s) - if so, you may have only blown up the preamp on the card. if not, well... :(

i tend to plug into a mixer before i plug into the PC - that way you've got better control over the gain and level and don't run the risk of sending a clipping signal straight in.

7. i have an EMachine and my soundcard is Crystalsound Fusion...or something like that (soundblaster)...what else?

8. Which port on the soundcard did you plug into (line in or mic in)? And did you plug directly from the instrument or from the amp? If the amp, which output - the speaker or line out?

Try playing a standard sound file though to make sure it's still going - and we can go from there.

I've never had a problem plugging into my soundcards (SB AWE64 gold and Yamaha XP) from a mixer, instrument or line out on an amp (I never use the mic input, only line on the soundcard).

9. i plugged into the the "line in port" and the headphone port....nothing works