Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

computer amp!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rafterman, Dec 31, 2000.

1. For those of you who have really cheap computer speakers and have a Bass Amp, then you could get really good sounds from your MP3s and video games...go to Radio Shack and buy the attachment for the PC speaker jack(the same as the attachment you put in for headphones) so that the cable you use for your bass will fit into the speaker jack in your PC. The sound that comes outta the Bass Amp will be better than the sound that would come out of an electric guitar amp...many people probably know this...but hey, for those who dont........!!!

2. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I've thought of this before... I've got decent speakers already and a Soundblaster Live sound card. One of those nifty deals that support separate front and rear speakers. Unfortunately, it's tough to get a single-speaker amp to do stereo. ;) However, if there were a way to convince my soundcard that the amp is a subwoofer... !

3. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Ya, this does give some pretty nice sound, especially on the low end. And actually, most amps (if they have a preamp in) will take the stereo input just fine. On mine I can just run a line out from the back speakers connector on the soundcard straight the the input to the poweramp and the sound comes out beautifully (with tons of bass I might add! :). The only difference is that the signal is taken down to mono (single channel) instead on stereo. But if you already have stereo front speakers, it really adds a lot to the sound. Have fun!

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Just for a laff over the Crimble break, I decided to do something along these lines myself.

I used my 250W PA system for the main speakers either side of my computer, this also has a built in crossover, allowing me to use my bass amp as a woofer. I then used my two powered floor monitors on stands as rear surround speakers. Then turned it all up to eleven.

Boy, was I scared.

Incidentaly, I also use my bass amp as a computer stool, saving space, and I could really feel the rumbles.