Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer and Windows XP problem.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Smokey, Feb 2, 2004.

1. This question is mostly directed towards you XP users. When you are at the screen that shows your computer's users, and you click on any of the icons, it normally takes about 3 seconds to log on, and be on your screen, right? Mine used to take 3 seconds, and one day, it started taking 2 minutes. I tried defragging, I did an adware removal, I've virus scanned, nothing seems to work. This bugs me because I don't even know how to fix it. Any help at all is appreciated.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You have a network card?

Give it a fixed IP (e.g. 192.168.1.124), so it won't wait for the network to assign one to it.

This helped me.

3. How would I go about doing that? I am not too PC saavy.

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. But, what if I have a network card, but I am not running a network, which I am not? Right now, this computer is the only one hooked up to the internet in my house.

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Same when you just use your network card to connect to your dsl or cable modem.

7. This is still fairly confusing. Does this FAQ assume I have satellite connection? Because I use cable. :meh:

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't let that confuse you, concentrate on the part where they change the IP.

Instead of Direcway Satellite Connection (which you don't have), right-click your LAN connection (or similar). Go to properties, choose TCP/IP etc..

9. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Leave you IP Address alone. It should be set to automatically obtain IP address, etc. To check this, go to Control Panel > Network Connections > rightclick Local Area Connection (or similar) and click Properties > Highlight "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" click the Properties button...

I would download and run a program called Bootvis
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/BootVis.mspx
    Can download it from http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/2/12-2-1.shtml I think..
    It will sort of re-position your boot files on your hard drive so they are optimized for best boot performance.
    In one of the menus's in Bootvis, just click "Trace and Optimize".. I ran it twice.

Cut my boot time in half. I also have a cable connection.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I really don't think your problem stems from either of the two fixes mentioned above. Is your anti spy/virus/ad software up to date? How many processes start when you run xp? It sounds to me like you have too much going on right at boot. How is the performance otherwise? Try stopping everything but the essentials from booting right away.

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

11. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services/index.shtml

that is a good site to "tweak" your services under XP... also good to check msconfig as stated above as well.

I would really recommend Bootvis tho, it seriously cut my boot time in half.

another must IMO to run is a program called xp-antispy... that will make windows not "call home" every time it starts up... I'm sure it is available from www.downloads.com.. every time you log on your computer also calls home to miscrosoft, it is probably what is stalling you.

12. I didn't mess with my IP. The problem with me setting which programs to start and which ones to not is that I do not know what is essential, unless it is obvious to me. I will try the boot download. Oh, and my pc runs great after that long start up, runs clean and smooth.

13. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    that first link in that last post of mine shows you how to stop background programs... it also explains what most of them are and recommends whether certain things should be running or not.

14. I didn't really understand that Bootvis program. I am to the point where I may have somebody take a look at my pc for me.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    did you read the link I posted? It clearly explains what you can safely shut off and what you can not.

16. Yes, I did study the link you posted. I have done that before, the problem is, the only things left are the programs I am not sure about.

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    you can always turn them back on if you want.

18. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I don't think it's a boot issue. By the time you get to the logon screen you're already 99% done with the actual boot. I also don't believe it's a networking problem unless it's a program attempting to do something online. You're more than likely not going to be able to give you're machine a static IP unless you have some control over the network you log on to - like if you're using a router at your house. The cable company will make you pay for a static IP....
    It's something else.

Which process is taking up the biggest chunk of processor time? While it's in the middle of the two minute log on, hit ctrl-alt-delete. Then click the task manager button and click the Processes tab (sorry if those steps were outlined in the previously posted article!). Look at the percentages in the CPU column, you'll probably see one process taking a large amount of the CPU. Also look at the memory column for high numbers. If there is a process eating up a lot of resources, I'd bet that's it. Do an internet search on that process. Or post it here.... The other thing is try going to Start->Programs->Startup. Everything listed in that folder will run at logon. Nothing needs to be in the Startup folder, you can remove all of it. Also, don't worry about killing processes you're not sure of. If it's something important the computer more than likely won't let you kill it. At worst it would force a re-boot. And any of the processes that you kill will start again on the next boot unless you specifically go in and change it from an automatic startup.

19. easy solution:
    reformat
    reinstall windows
    repeat at least once every year
    also, remember to defrag right after you install and then at least once every month or so.

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hmm? :meh: