Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer Based Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Hello all! I have a few questions that I would like some clarity on. I just started playing with a new band and we have no recording equipment. However I have a computer with Cakewalk 8.0 and I plan on buying a cd burner and some monitoring speakers. The sound card is basic so I am sure that it will need to be replaced. As the foundation, I would like to be able to record our drums and percussion section simultaniously into the computer. Other than the equipment mentioned, what do I need to turn what I already have into a decent home-recording studio?
    For one, I think we would need a mixer to mic up all the drums with. With this process can I individually track each mic into cakewalk? And what would I need to get this information transferred into my computer? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

2. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Before you start, there are certain minimum requirements your computer needs. For instance, you need lots of memory. My average multitrack file takes up 150MB. It also slows the hell out of my Pentium III 450.

But, assuming you have fairly new computer, there's not a hell of alot you need to do the basics. A high quality cable and adaptor pluged into the "line in" (not microphone) jack of your computer is the starting point. I began with just this, using my $99.00 ART Tube MP as the preamp for both my bass and the microphone I used to record guitar and vocals. Drums and synth were all computer generated.

While you can do multiple micing by running everything through a mixer and then into the computer, you won't be able to assign each mic to an individual track without a new soundcard/interface. So, I suggest you consider either of the following options:

1. New soundcard/interface such as Echo Layla or Gina, coupled with a Mackie or other decent mixer.

2. Tascam's new 428US which is a combination digital mixer and digital converter that attaches to your comptuer via the USB port.

Good luck. Hope this helped.