Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer crapped out...need help with power supply beeps

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Apr 15, 2003.

1. My computer suddenly died. It didn't turn on one morning...here are the symptoms:

1) Turn it on: It accesses the floppy drive for second, beeps once, then accesses the floppy drive for a second. Repeat.

2) Put in an MS-DOS floppy disk: It accesses the floppy drive for second, beeps twice, then accesses the floppy drive for a second. Repeat.

3) Remove floppy drive completely: It beeps eight times.

The monitor never turns on - it works though. I have reassembled the computer and am back on step 1.

Here's what I found on the internet:

Award and Phoenix BIOS:

1 short beep: Normal
    2 short beeps: CMOS error
    1 long and 1 short beep: DRAM error
    1 long and 2 short beeps: Video card error
    1 long and 3 short beeps: Keyboard error
    1 long and 9 short beeps: ROM error
    Long continuous beeps: DRAM not installed correctly
    Short continuous beeps: Bad power supply

AMI BIOS:

1 short beep: DRAM flash error
    2 short beeps: DRAM ECC check error
    3 short beeps: DRAM detect error
    5 short beeps: CPU error
    6 short beeps: Keyboard error
    8 short beeps: Video card error
    9 short beeps: ROM error
    1 long and 3 short beeps: Bad DRAM
    1 long and 8 short beeps: Video card error

I'm guessing that I have an AMI bios because of the eight beeps. I removed the video card and reseated it and it still doesn't work. (I did that on a friend's computer once to fix it).

I removed the single stick of memory and cleaned it off (a bit of dust) and reseated it, still doesn't work.

My sister's boyfriend is a comp-sci student and he thinks that the hard drive has died.

What does it mean when it tries to access the floppy drive over and over again? Anyone encounter this? I want to try to fix it myself first because nothing traumatic happened to the computer. It just stopped. (Plus computer tech's cost $90 per hour here).

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Hmmm. Tough to say. I've had similar problems with a couple of machines here at work and indeed it was the video card. I replaced the video card with another and everything worked fine.

Since a video card is substantially cheaper than a HD I'd suggest you try and replace that before moving onto the HD.

What you can do to test the video card is try and use it in another computer. If it works in another box then you know it ain't the video card.

Also, check and make sure all the PCI cards are seated correctly.

Most computer components aren't servicable. In other words if they die, you replace them. Using trial and error you should be able to narrow down the problem to the offending piece of hardware.

Good luck.

3. When mine beeped repeatedly it turned out to be the video card was fried. I know that's not all that helpful but it might be an avenue to explore.

4. Yeah(?), got it figured out. Managed to get my hands on a spare RAM chip and it looks like the original chip died. I gotta buy a new one tomorrow but at least it'll give me a chance to upgrade to a 512mb chip.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Making the best of an annoying situation. Memory upgrades are always a good thing.I was going to say check the flux capacitor, but I guess your all set.

6. Funny, sounded more like the Lumis Foil to me.

7. When the RAM shorted out, it messed up my OS so I had to re-install fresh. I have to install all of the programs again...whine...whine...whine...