Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer Gaming

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, May 8, 2005.

1. I'm looking into getting a new game. I have free time and one game isn't cutting it anymore.

What are you guys and gals currently playing or suggest would be a good buy ? (Not World of Warcraft)

My list is very long, Day of Defeat :)

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    DON'T GET WORLD OF WARCRAFT!

I play Call of Duty. I'm on a CAL Main team. Battlefield 1942 is sweet. The game itself is bad, but all the mods are amazing.

3. Two best bets:

-Half-Life 2, and just wait for the mods, or play HL2dm/CS:S in the meantime

-Unreal Tournament 2k4. There are many great built-in game modes, but the real fun is with the Red Orchestra mod for it. It's the best WW2 game I've played by a long shot. It's worth it to buy UT just to get Red Orchestra.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I play Counterstrike: Source on on occasion.

Other than that, I used to be huge on DAOC, but quit that due to becoming a loser.

5. Yeah, I played RO with UT2003, I'm still waiting for DOD:S ><

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    If you like wacky 3d action adventure games, try Psychonauts, directed by Tim Schafer of Lucas Arts fame. I played the demo and it's amazingly crazy, psychedelic and fun. Too bad it'll be ages until it'll come out over here. I was thinking of importing it, but I may have to get a new graphics card first as some parts of the demo didn't run very smoothly on my aging GeForce Ti 4400.

http://www.psychonauts.com/

7. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I wont let myself buy world of warcraft. I got to be a beta tester for it and became horribly addicted.

Half Life 2 is awesome.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is still one of my favorites, as is its multiplayer counter part Enemy Territory.

GTA San Andreas will be out in a few weeks.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You can get Civilization III pretty cheap these days.

If you want a game that has tons of depth, really makes you think, and will keep you glued to your screen at the cost of hygiene, loved ones, and work or school, that's the game.

9. Why spend money on a game? Go to www.enemy-territory.com and immerse yourself into the amazing(-ly free) world of Wolfenstein. I know a couple of guys on the board play and I myself have just gotten back into it. There are constantly new maps put out, tons of servers, thousands of players and the game itself it just fun.

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm not into FPSs, I'm really an RPG and Sim freak. Right now I'm between games in an attempt to force myself to study for finals. After this next week is done I'll be picking up KOTOR2 (still haven't played it) and the new GTR racing sim.

11. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
  12. I play SOF2 DH sometimes, until last night I got the 1.03 path and now I can't

13. Right now I'm in the middle of Stronghold 2 and Brothers in Arms. I just (finally) got the latest expansion for IL-2 Sturmovik also :)

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Go immerse yourself in the world of "The Sims". All of your free time will be gone. Your life will revolve around instructing computer images of people to take out the garbage and turn out the lights. For $30 I can send you a collection of about six Sims games my daughter used to play. I would love to get them out of our house.

-Mike

15. +1 to The Sims, Bonus if you pick up The Sims 2.

I did get World of warcraft for my birthday, I've played it once (for 17 hrs straight) and dammit im hooked.. great game.

16. The Sims is pretty fun. I guess real life is more fun when its less real.

17. SIMS 2!

There's even an EUB in it. :eek: :D

18. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    an RPG fan? nice to meet ya!

Mr QuakQuak - I'm not sure what your stance on RPG's is but I've just completed Shadow Hearts:Covenant which was a great game - involving story, interesting characters, and a bit of dark humour. The turn based fighting and menus turn a lot of people off though, but I'd say give it a go if you are looking for something different.

19. Is this for PC ? MY sister has my PS2 currently :-/

20. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Nope its for PS2, sorry:) maybe some Playstation recovery is in order!