Computer gurus/Linux masters

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Ok, my whole house is running linux. EXCEPT for my machine. My dad wants to convert me over to Linux, and right now I'm really thinking of doing it. My only problem is that I have some bootlegs from Smashing Pumpkins shows, and I don't want to lose them. If I make the switch from windows 98 to Linux, would I lose all these mp3s?
  2. If you don't back them up then yes you would lose them. Put them on a FAT or FAT32 disk partition that you won't be touching during the Windows -> Linux transition or burn them to CD/ DVD and you should be fine.

Read: Backup your music (and other data). ;)
  3. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Or copy them to a SMB share on your dad's comp if there is a network in place.
  4. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Data that you have if you do format will be lost... you will have to put it on cd or any backup data...

If you do not have cd-r writer here is what you can do
    since your family is running Linux you can ask them to setup user on a ftp (adduser)... upload everything you want onto their pc and then format... when you install Linux just ftp back and download everything you want onto your pc as Linux... keep the backup copy of your stuff because if you are not familiar with OS and you are root you can damage it. once you are ok with it then you will be fine:]

burning your data is good idea in any case... anything can happen... hard drive dies... windows crashes... etc you might want to back things up...

Linux (slack/fbsd) is a nice OS... but be careful... it might not have what you want in windows... some things in windows that are missing in Linux... games/graphics/music editing/movie codecs imo are better on windows...

That being said win98 is one of the worse OS's i ever had to use... what kind of pc do you have? if its something half decent winXP pro or win2000 (if pc is not super fast) might be a good upgrade... far more stable and nicer to work with... if you dont need much of what i listed above linux is def nice way to go better then 98 in def... but you might be better of with win2000 or XP pro however you will still have same problems... win2000 is ntfs not fat32 and XP is better to have ntfs as well... so just use the ftp if they have enough space and you dont have cdr:]

Also if you dont have cdr you can get liteon cdrw/dvd rom for 25$ or so... just look for it... great burners.. i had the cdrw by liteon and dvd burner rite now... dvd burner was 80$ (8x) cdrw was 25... both work great and cheap... and its nice to have cdrw to back things up as anything can happen and you loose everything you have...

2 choices 1) cdrw 2) FTP

Good luck ;)

5. Hey, if you have no Linux experience, I'd just like to recommend giving a CD based distro a whirl before completely switching. Knoppix for example, it's a fully functional Linux distro that runs completely from CD, so you could just pop it in and try it out, and no permanent changes are made to your hard drive. Linux has come a long way, but if you've never used it, it's still gonna be like night and day, even with a distro like Mandrake, which IMO is the most new user friendly distro around. Anyway, after you give the CD based distro a try, if you like it, Knoppix comes with the option to install on the hard drive, or you could get Mandrake. If you have no Linux experience, I wouldn't recommend a full switch to Linux with any other distro, just my opinion. Other than that, I second what was said about the FTP or CD-R. Peace, and welcome to the darkside! :bassist:

BTW, here is the link to Knoppix's webpage...
  6. what about redhat? i have been considering going linux on my internet box to avoid most of the viruses, but i'm not much of a computer geek. i build my own systems, but i don't know a hell of a lot about configuring an IP port. windows is good for me on things like that.

i just formatted and reinstalled windowsMe (yes, i know it sucks, but it's better with USB than 98SE). it's been ok so far, but i still would rather not crash twice a week.