Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer gurus...need a little help here...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kovachian, Feb 7, 2006.

1. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    I hope this'll be an easy one. I got a Sony VAIO VGC-RB40 today, and it came with an extra memory module. It's already got 512 megs of ram (2x256) and I want to add a single 512 meg module that was included. I'm looking at the motherboard and there's two slots available. Does it matter which slot I install the module into, or does it have to go into a certain slot? If that's the case how would I find out which one? Do I have to boot up it up first and do some funky configuring or do I just snap it in and then power everything up?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If the 4 slots are all colored the same you can just snap it into the one closest to the one thats occupied. Shouldnt have to do any configuration or anything, just plug it in, turn it on. They are usually labeled 1-4, with 1&2 being a pair, 3&4 being a pair. They dont have to be paired though. If you pair them, they need to be the same though. BTW, 2x 256 will run faster paired than 1x 512.

3. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    Ahh...so I have to take out one of the 256s and move it next to the other one, and put the 512 in all by itself? I guess that amkes sense though.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Oh, if your two 256's are split up, then it likely means 1&3 are paired, 2&4 are also paired. Dont move one of the 256 then. Just plug the 512 into the slot between them.

5. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    Yea, 1 and 3 are paired. I'll give it a try and see what happens, I just hope the computer gives me some kind of clear sign that something's amiss w/o damage. <<fingers crossed>>

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Looks like Juneau has you covered.

-Mike

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Worse case, it either wont post (nothing will show up on the screen when you turn it on), or you will get beep codes, which should be discussed in your manual, or easily found online. Shouldnt have any issues of damage. The only thing to be sure of, is there are little clips on the sides of the RAM sockets to hold it in place. Make sure the notch in the middle of the stick lines up with the socket correctly (one side is longer than the other), and make sure its snapped all the way in so that the clips are secured. It may take more pressure than you might think if its new, but dont worry about it.

8. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    Hmm...this stick is indeed wanting more force than I really want to apply. I appreciate the help of course!

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Dont sweat it, as long as it is lined up correctly (short side/long side) with the socket, and the corners are in the clips, just push that sucker in. It will be tight. You can also try using the clips while pushing in the RAM, trying to close them together, which will help get the stick seated.

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    dont worry computers are MEANT to be idiot prove. i mean D shaped connecters cant really go wrong.

anyway, most RAM has lifetime warrenty so if you break it trying to get it in, you can try and super glue it back together and send it back saying its faulty :p

11. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    It's in finally. First time I put it in the computer barked at me for it. Apparently Sony arranges the slot pairs differently from my pop's old gateway. It's little moments like these that make victory taste oh so sweet.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice one bro! Show that lousy PC who's boss!

-Mike