1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Computer Guys... Help needed making a webpage for my band.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 25, 2009.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'm attempting to create a website for my band using one of those free templates. I've never made a website before, but after a few hours I think I have the gist of it. Except for one major thing...

How do I put my words/text onto the website?

I understand how to change the colours, fonts, location of the pics etc of the templates, but I can't seem to change the text. I know I'm probably overlooking something simple, but there is just so much info out there I am missing it somehow.

Thanks!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Most "computer guys" will be able to help you set up your network or install Windows. Web page building does not fit the stereotype anymore.

And "those templates" is a little vague to know what you're doing. Are you coding?

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks James. I'm still missing something though. In my templates folder I have the following files

Images
    Style
    index

Where my mistake is (I think) is that I am putting the

in the style file, which I think is wrong. If it doesnt go there then where does it go?

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    In index. Tags such as "body", "h1" and "HTML" are the foundation of your index.htm file.

The style.css file contains information on how to format and present information, but should not have any content in itself.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    What's wrong with MySpace or Google Pages? I think there was a time when you needed your own URL and web server, to show that you were computer-savvy. But nowadays, anybody can build a web page, so it has ceased to be a distinction.

But if you want code, take the templates up into your word processor (most can load and save HTML), edit to your heart's content, save as HTML, and you're done.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Interesting however, my band has paid for a website domain www.dickcash.ca and we'd like to use it. I am just trying to keep things simple for now. I'll try the suggestion of using the word processor.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    websites are real easy with today's tools and I think a .com (or .ca) is WAY more respectable and professional than some free site (though myspace / facebook / reverbnation are all great for personal interactions with fans) If you know how to use Word you can output to HTML or even better if you have an Office suite with Frontpage. Most hosts have 'Frontpage extensions" that let Frontpage help you not only design the site but also use some fairly slick built in things for calendars and such AND it will handle the publishing to the web as well.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I was also told by some "in the know" booking agents that it looks much better for a band to have their own website rather than just a myspace.

They say it looks much more professional.

I'll try the ms word frontpage thingy.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I suppose you have to go with what matters to your market. With that said, I suggest that you take a look at a lot of "professional" websites, as a warning that if you try to create a lot of bells and whistles, it can start looking really clumsy in a hurry, especially if your page doesn't work quite right on mobile devices like iPhones.

Therefore, keep it simple. IMHO all you really need is a front page with a one high quality photo, links to two or three good recorded tunes, and booking contacts.

Once you have edited your page, you can "run" it by putting all of its contents in a single folder on your computer and then opening it up in at least two browsers: Internet Explorer and Firefox. Navigate the entire page to make sure all of the links work.

Of course it goes without saying that literate use of language is vital, but from your posts, I reckon that this won't be a problem for you.

In terms of learning about HTML code, you can cheat by doing "view document source" in your browser when you see a web page that you admire.

11. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
  12. Digme past this on to me, and now, I pass it to you.

Google sites:
    https://www.google.com/accounts/Ser...google.com/&service=jotspot&passive=true&ul=1

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago. I have very little HTML knowledge and wanted to give a free WYSIWYG type HTML program a shot.

Google sites, for the most part, is a WYSIWYG program that's already online. No need to find a free web-host. It's very easy to learn and use. Changing font style, size, color, and where you want it on the page has a very simple interface.

I think the only downside is the lack of control over HTML if you want or need something more advanced. I tried copying some embedded media HTML code, and Google would not allow it. Also, I learned that if you want to do something like a slide show, it can only be done from Picasa, google's photo hosting website. The embedded code from Photobucket also gets rejected. You can link photos from any website, and it gives you an option of different size thumbnails, though. It also lets you link video from youtube and google, but I'm not certain if you can put in an embedded media player, however I'm sure you can line your music from another web host.

Here's what I did with google sites.
    http://sites.google.com/site/mattshometheatersystem/home
    I haven't messed with it in a week or two and still need to finish it. Maybe one more page and I'm done.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Wow, lots of info to look into.

thanks.

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    There is a website we used called Bandzoogle (http://bandzoogle.com/) It was fairly easy to use and they host the domain.