Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer guys: RAM problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. So, I decided to purchase another stick of ram for my machine. My current stick of ram is a Corsair 512 MB pc3200 (ddr400) and I also purchased the exact same stick again (even the brand) to enhance my gaming performance.

Here's the problem: Both sticks of RAM run perfectly fine - but only when it's just ONE stick in the system. When I put both sticks in, my computer refuses to even boot up. When I push power, everything powers up, but windows doesn't come up, nor does the starting bios screen, for that matter.

What could possibly be my problem? Thanks for any help.

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Have you looked at the RAM slots to make sure nothings in one of them blocking the connections?

How many slots does the MB have? Have you tried different slots & different combinations? Have you checked to see if your BIOS has any RAM memory settings you may need to change? Did you compare the RAM sticks to check to see if they are in fact the same?

3. What model and brand motherboard are you using?

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I had the same problem with my Corsair memory. You need to make sure that all of your dual-channeling options are set correctly. If theyre not (maybe there shouldnt be any dual channeling going on at all... make sure the memory isnt meant for that), your pc wont boot.
    Are you sure the speeds and latencies are the same? Does your pc support 1024mb? Did you try putting either stick in either slot? Did you check your mobo manual to make sure that you are even allowe to have sticks in the slots you are putting them in?
    Theres a LOT going on with memory. Good luck!

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep, Lamb's put you on the right track.

If your MB is dual channel, and you stick in two pieces of regular DDR, it may not recognise either. Easy way to check, is the colour of the slots. Dual channel MBs have like colours in opposite pairs: Black/Blue, Black/Blue.

A single stick of regular DDR will usually run in a dual channel MB, that's why either stick by themselves is working.

If your lucky, you may have dual channel memory, and are just putting it in the incorrect slots. Try reinserting the memory, but in like-coloured slots. Blue/Blue.