Computer guys...what's the difference between PCI Express x16 and x1?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Oct 19, 2005.

1. As the title says, what's the difference? Obviously they differ in size, but why are there two kinds? I'm looking for a new motherboard for my Athlon 64 (754 socket) and I'm trying to figure out what to buy.

Also, as I look at some of the models online...I see no AGP slot. What's up with that? I need an 8x slot for my 9800 Pro.
  2. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Most likely, they have integrated video.
  3. No, they have PCI express instead.

You need to find a model with an AGP port instead of/in addition to othe PCI express. They definitely exist; I'm using a slot 754 motherboard with an AGP graphics card right now.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have integrated video, but still have an AGP slot. When used, it releases the memory for the system and deactivates the onboard.
  5. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Video Card > Integrated Video
  6. My problem here is is that I want to find a board that supports both an AGP slot (as said, I already have a 9800 Pro) and has a few pci express ports. Very few seem to exist, and the ones that I've found have had shady reviews.

Basically, my current motherboard (MSI Neo Platinum) is toast. Everything else seems to work when tested, but I just need a new mobo.
  7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Can you spare the extra for a PCI-e card? Probably worthwhile in the long run as it seems to be replacing AGP...
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    +1. And they seem to be cheaper, too, than their AGP-versions.
  9. Just keep in mind though, that the format has little to do with performance, so make sure that if you do buy a PCI-E card, that it's actually worth the money in that it's actually a solid upgrade and a better card, not just with a newer interface.

This may seem like a dumb question, but why are you looking for a new motherboard?
  10. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Dandy question for sure. Big difference between needs and wants. Myself, I am going on year 5 of my gaming rig. If you really don't need the speed and glamour of a new PC either go second hand or stay with AGP.

Sure, Vista is coming around the corner but you don't "need" to upgraded to that either.

My .02 worth,

11. Like I said earlier in the thread, it just went up and ate itself one day and doesn't work anymore. Everything else seems to check out fine though.

And to everybody else...I'm not getting a pci-e video I've already said twice now, I already have a 9800 pro that doesn't need replacing. I don't want to afford to spend a few extra hundred right now.
  12. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    There are Athlon 64 compadible chipsets that support AGP and PCI-e (x1 or x16). Sorry.
    I still say you pawn off your 9.8k and get pci-e, regardless of how much you want to hold onto it. If you're a gamer, you'll need one or two pci-e x16 cards in the future.
  13. I'm going to have to disagree. Yes, PCI-E is the way of the future, but you'll gain little-no benefit from upgrading from your 9800pro AGP to a 9800pro PCI-E. There is no reason to replace the card unless you want to upgrade. (and you have made it clear that you do not.)
  14. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Sooner or later all AGP cards will vanish from the world and PCI-E will take over.
    Long time ago (if any of you remember) there used to be an EISA slots...but they all gone now.
    Most new MOBOs are being created with PCI-E instead of AGP.
    SO it's only a matter of time till we all have to upgrade to PCI-E when we buy a new computer.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The simple answer is PCI Express can be run at different rates, based on how many "lanes" are in use. It can be 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x or 16x. More lanes, more throughput. It's that simple.

16x will move data 16 times faster than 1x.
  16. I'm not a huge gamer on the pc side, so it's not a huge deal. I mean, yeah I want to play stuff like Counter-Strike: Source and a few other games, but really, even with all the new pci-e cards and stuff, I don't think my 9800 will be unusable for quite some time. I mean, even 2-3 years from now (when I'll upgrade for real) I could probably run those future long as the ram can deal with it and I run the video at a lower setting.

But then again, I can be an idiot about this kind of thing.
  17. PCI-E x16 is the new standard for video cards
    PCI-E x1 is the new standard to replace old PC slots

the PCI-Ex1 slot is pretty short (compaired to x16, AGP and PCI slots), the PCI-E x16 slot is pretty much the same in appearance to AGP slots

PCI-Express is new technology designed to get past the constraits that are there by PCI and AGPx8, PCI slots can only handly a couple megs per second, AGP x8 slots can only handle about 8-9 Megs per second, so, PCI-E is going to be great in a few years :)

Oh, and you can now get SRI motherboards and graphics card, basically you have two Pci-E x16 slots, and can run 2 graphics cards together, both putting out to the same screen, you got cards that did 50% of the screen each before (back in the 90's eh) but these ones do it dynamically so it depends on the graphical payload itself, very cool stuff
  18. I plan on upgrading in a few years too, getting a totally PCI-E system, should be fun :)

I hope my 9800Pro holds up for long enough, not had trouble with much yet, cept doom 3 gets a little bit jumpy on max settings