Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

computer help needed, re: chat programs connecting to the internet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    So last week, I downloaded and installed the newest AIM upgrade, and the newest MSN Messenger upgrade. Since then, I have not been able to get AIM or MSN to connect to the net. I still have net access, and can surf the net and do whatever else I want online, except for getting MSN or AIM to connect. Any idea why this is happening?

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    No idea.

But I suggest downloading Gaim. It's an open-source IM client that interfaces with just about every IM service available. So just set it up to work with all your accounts, and you're set.

Check out http://sourceforge.net, it should be listed on one of the sidebars.

3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm...

Question: Are you behind a firewall? Whether through hardware (router, etc) or software (norton security, etc)?

Make sure the ports at which these services operate are able to let these connections happen. If you have made sure that your firewalls (if any) are letting your chat services through, check the settings on AIM and MSN and make sure your proper connection is selected.

I dunno, just some ideas.

-T

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I've seen you online on both in the last 2 days, home dawg.

5. I have GAIM installed on my Ubuntu Linux hard-drive. (it's standard with Gnome.) It's nice, clean and is without the AOL bull****, but there are some drawbacks. The window resets its size and position whenever you load it up, the timestamps won't toggle, no direct connect etc. It's much better than the other alternative IM programs I've tried though. (Kopete, anyone?) Give it a shot though, it's great.

6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    There's more than one computer in my house, underpants gnome.

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I tried downloading a different open-source IM client (trillian), but the program had the same problem. When Gaim, Trillian, or whatever else program you use logs your AIM screenname on, it uses the same ports and the same online network that the regular program uses, just a different interface. So, it still didn't work.

8. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    This is what I thought the issue might be. I am using a wireless router, and am behind a software firewall as well. The only problem is, I have no idea how to see what ports these programs use, and I have no idea how to open those ports myself.

9. Google will help you there. And ports are automatically opened, unless a firewall blocks them, so no worries there. Try removing the software and go back to the older versions.

10. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    try aim express, see if that work. that's a web based aim.

11. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I tried, it didn't work. AIM express is a web-based AIM interface, but it uses the same network and connection. And even if it did work, I'd still try to fix the problem, because AIM express sucks.

12. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The older versions won't work, and google doesn't give me any help at all. I dont know how to access the ports in the ZoneAlarm firewall I have or in the router I have. Even if I did, I don't know which ports to open.

13. If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not :D ) MSN has a built-in 'connection problem solver'. You can get to it through the message box that pops up when MSN figures out it can't connect. Maybe give that a try.

And the firewall: switch it off. At least you'll know where to look if it starts working then.

14. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, problem solved. I figured out how to open a port in my firewall to let the program access the net.

15. Don't switch off the Firewall! Figure it out. It looks to me like AIM uses 5190. Excercise your Google-Fu before you open your machine up to the world.

edit: I guess I missed your post. What port is it using BTW?

16. I wasn't suggesting that he keep it switched off, just helped at troubleshooting. Not sure about the msn port, seems to change here :meh: Its in the 19xx region though, but that just might be me reading it wrong (hey, I'm tired, I just finished my exams)

17. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, I figured out how to reconfigure the firewall without having to turn it off. Problem(s) solved :) Thanks guys!

18. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Stick with Trillian. Great program, lots of convenience and flexibility, and an online user forum that can help solve problems. And no Ads......

19. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Trillian and Gaim are great. I recommend both. Gaim is open source. I have to point out that Trillian is not open source as someone mentioned that it was above.