1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Computer help needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Can anyone tell me how to merge a partition of your HD with your main partition?

I've tried a copy of Acronis Disk Director Suite but when checking the partions it gives an error.

Any help?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What OS? Mucking about with partitions can be messy - make sure you back up whatever you've got and wouldn't want to lose.

If you're in Linux then it can be a snap. gparted is a wonderful partitioning tool. Windows is a little trickier.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I use GParted LiveCD for my partitioning needs. Very simple. Just burn an .iso to a CD and boot from CD. You can also use a USB drive.

http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/

As superduck said - be sure you have your important bits backed up!!

bc

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I forgot that you can boot gparted from the livecd. That might not be a bad route regardless of operating system.

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    There's nothing on it yet.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    How exactly do you make that boot disk? I unzipped the download, burned them on a cd but nothing happens when I try booting it.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You need to burn it as an iso image. I don't know what program you're using to burn your CDs but see if you can find some instructions specific to that program with a google search:

how to burn an .iso image using ____________

or something..it must be an .iso image though..won't work otherwise.

bc

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the help but I managed...somehow :D

XP here I come again!