Computer help needed!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Aug 11, 2003.

1. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Need some opinions here...I have a 4 year old HP. 400mz processor, 64mb sdram, and a 6 gig harddrive. I bought a digital camera and printer, installed the software, and she just crashed on me. I used the emergency start up disc, but now getting a bunch of errors, and freeze ups. Should I buy more memory for it and have it checked out professionally? Or just say it's old enough, not put any money into it, and buy a new one.
  2. this is definately your best bet if you can afford it
  3. I agree with DEFELDUS, just get a new computer. It ain't worth it buying all the new stuff for it. Chances are, you'd need to replace most if not all of your stuff. Just find a friend who knows a lot about computers and get the parts to make one :D Or, if you don't want to do that, Dell makes nice PCs that you might want to consider looking into. ~ Tyler
  4. Have you tried/owned one of these computers at all?
  5. one of my friends got one for his bday, and it is a great lil machine, and for that price its a steal. im not sure which model he got or anything though. while these may be great, they still are not as good as a do it yourself job ;)
  6. har har, i here ya on dat one.
  7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Depends on how much money you have my friend. Personally, I'm still using a 233mHz Pentium 2, 32 MB of RAM and a 5 gig HD. The only problem with your computer is the fact that it is an HP!!! I'm going to assume with that system that you're probably running Windows 98. I'm also going to assume that you checked to make sure that everything you installed was compatible with your system.

Memory is dirt cheap. If I were you, I would buy another 64MB stick of RAM and drop into it. New computers are expensive, DIY or not. That much RAM shouldn't be $20 or $30. I would be skittish about going with much more than that because the motherboard probably wouldn't like it too well.

If you have the money and don't want to mess with any upgrades, go with Dell. Slightly expensive, but you won't find a better machine anywhere out there.
  8. In argument To Weird Al Yank. , it ISN'T all about the pentiums baby ! I'll stick with HP. They game me 400 dollar speakers for free ^^ And I prefer AMD, although that HyperThreading does look tempting...
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The thing about the pentiums, is they are squeezing them for everything they got.

maybe 2-3 years ago the obvious choice for superior computing was an AMD, but then AMD started hitting snags and their, though better developed processors, began to dwindle in raw speed.
    during this time Pentium caught up by churnning out more ghz.(as if that really means anything anyway:rolleyes: )
    at anyrate, AMD isn't in the same situation they were 2-3 years ago, intel is taking over the market.

I don't know, it's truly all about the IBM powerpc 970(aka PPC g5) but that's an entirely different story all toegether. is a great place to buy computer parts, my brother built his PC from there, total cost(before his monitor fragged and he needed to get a new one) was around 700 bucks, and the thing is pretty damn capable.
  10. I know that Pentiums are more powerful, but AMD seems to keep in par with them pretty much. In some instances AMD is a better bang for the buck, and I've used it since my first computer so I tend to learn towards them. I have no doubt that Intel makes better products but if you need to save some cash AMD is very good.
  11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

I agree that AMD processors are excellent. They probably are more stable and more capable than the majority of the Intel processors on the market today. AMD, however, hasn't made their product available like Intel has, so they aren't as widely known or used. Therefore, they aren't able to adequately keep up in the market, and their processors aren't available on as many brands.

On another note, I have fully and completely boycotted any and EVERY product made by HP. Hewlett Packard, in my opinion, makes some of the cheapest and most poorly built pieces of equipment on the market today. I have owned printers and computers alike and they have given me absolutely nothing but trouble since day one. Customer support is an absolute joke as well. Anyways, thats just my opinion.